Washington WDFW Ban
Another year, another proposed packgoat ban... 

The Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife has proposed a ban specifically targeted at packgoats. WDFW lands encompass over a million acres in Washington state, and when I spoke to a representative this morning, he indicated that this proposed ban will affect ALL WDFW land areas whether they contain bighorn sheep or not. The WDFS has provided no scientific basis for this heavy-handed, broad-reaching approach. This is unacceptable and we need to make our voices heard! 

Below is the main page for the proposal which also has a link to the comment section: 

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/development/domestic-sheep-and-goats-wdfw-lands?fbclid=IwAR0KiHOtKNQJ8_btGZg9SNdsd_s02KeNNNwXsYDlk9vh64VaVFrjYXzM6LI

All packgoats users are encouraged to comment whether they live in Washington or not. What happens in one state inevitably happens in others. However, if you live or pack in Washington, your voice will carry extra weight because this is your stomping grounds! We don't know the comment period deadline so please do not put this one off. 

Let's mobilize the troops and flood their mailroom! 
Good news on the Washington front! It seems we jumped the gun on this issue and misunderstood what was going on. We were made aware of an earlier emergency order pertaining to packgoat use only in certain WDFW areas which outlined best practices for packgoat use in these areas (something that aligns perfectly with NAPgA's mission). Here is the emergency rule:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/...20-116.pdf

I was unaware of the earlier order and when I called the main WDFW office yesterday to get more information on the very vaguely-worded pre-proposal, the officer told me it was a proposed packgoat ban on all WDFW lands. Apparently he was misinformed and hence the confusion.

Today I spoke to a WDFW official with first-hand knowledge of the emergency rule and pre-proposal and she assured me that our comments are not misplaced. They are glad to have public input. She was glad to know why the proposal was suddenly getting so much attention! For those whose comments promoted the implementation of Best Management Practices, this is exactly in line with what the WDFW is already proposing.

I apologize for the confusion and I'm very happy to pass along the news that this is NOT in fact a proposed ban across all WDFW lands!
Thanks for this clarification - but we still want to send comments yes?

Anybody know what the incident was that spurred this order?

Appears we can still take our goats into these areas as long as they are "tethered and not unattended" per this verbage in your link:

(1) It is unlawful for any person to cause or allow goats or sheep to be untethered or unattended on the following department wildlife area units, unless otherwise permitted by the director to do so: 

(a) Colockum Wildlife Area: Colockum Unit; 
(b) Wenas Wildlife Area: Wenas Unit;
 © Chelan Wildlife Area: Chelan Butte, Swakane, and Entiat Units; 
(d) LT Murray Wildlife Area: Quilomene and Whiskey Dick Units; 
(e) Oak Creek Wildlife Area: Oak Creek and Rock Creek Units; 
(f) Scotch Creek Wildlife Area: Scotch Creek, Charles and Mary Eder, Similkameen-Chopaka, and Tunk Valley Units; 
(g) Sinlahekin Wildlife Area: Sinlahekin, Driscoll Island, McLoughlin Falls, and Carter Mountain Units; 
(h) Asotin Creek Wildlife Area: Asotin Creek, Weatherly, and George Creek Units; 
(i) Chief Joseph Wildlife Area: Chief Joseph, 4-O Ranch, and Shumaker Units; 

(2) Goats or sheep that have tested positive for Mycoplasma ovipneumonieae or that are displaying signs of pneumonia or other illness will not be permitted. Goats or sheep showing signs of pneumonia or other illness while on department lands must be removed within forty-eight hours. (3) If a goat or sheep becomes lost, the owner must make every effort to locate and recover it. If the goat or sheep cannot be recovered, the owner shall contact the department by telephone as soon as possible.
It is absolutely great to send comments! I think the wording could use clarification. Are they proposing a "leash law" while hiking, or does tethering only apply to goats in camp?

I have an inkling about the incident that spurred this but I'm trying to get more information. I've heard two different stories from two different sources. They sound like the same story, but each has a very different twist, and the difference is significant.
(01-13-2022, 03:18 PM)Nanno Wrote: It is absolutely great to send comments! I think the wording could use clarification. Are they proposing a "leash law" while hiking, or does tethering only apply to goats in camp?

I have an inkling about the incident that spurred this but I'm trying to get more information. I've heard two different stories from two different sources. They sound like the same story, but each has a very different twist, and the difference is significant.

Thanks for the reply - will go ahead and comment as planned.  

re: causative incident - looking forward to hearing more. I do recall one lost pack goats incident last summer in eastern Wa - the goats were eventually recovered.
Yeah, the lost packgoat incident isn't the one I heard about.
good to know. Is this incident supposedly an actual, documented transmission of m. ovi or just an encounter?

And pack goats, not just a domestic goat herd?
I've heard this story 2nd or 3rd hand from two different sources. Both involve packgoats tethered in camp and a WDFW officer taking nasal swabs.

According to a WDFW officer not tied to the incident (it's just the story going round their office), the packgoats were left unattended for an extended period of time and a field officer decided to take nasal swabs. They were all M.ovi positive and bighorn sheep in the area were later found to be infected with the same strain.

According to the other story, the goats were supervised and a WDFW officer came into camp and started taking nasal swabs over the owner's objection. The officer later claimed that one goat was positive. The owner had the goats tested before and after the incident and none were positive.

I tend not to believe the "official" story because there are far too many holes in it. Among other things, goats can't be left tethered and unattended for extended periods of time. And if unattended packgoats goats were proven M.ovi positive, it would be in the news. If they actually infected a bighorn herd, it would REALLY be in the news! There's no way that story happened the way it's being told around the WDFW office. I tend to believe the story (which I also heard 2nd hand, so details might be incorrect) that there is an activist officer out there harassing legal packgoat users.
Wow, thanks for sharing that crazy story. Both versions. I find all of this hard to believe.  There is something there, enough for WDFW to have initiated this action - request for actual documents might be in order.