Ober Campers
Totally aware of that! I'm sure Idaho Nancy is too!
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
Sabine, great thoughts for the rest of us, thx!
I need to get some goat coats for camping. I usually just carry a tarp for rain, but haven't had to actually use it. Been lucky. I hate camping in the rain. I usually highline them at night so I can get some decent sleep, otherwise they get into everything and Django actually plowed into the side of my tent once while I was inside (I think something spooked him) and I'm lucky it didn't rip. I do like for them to be loose all night, but I've found they just keep me up!
*Saltlick*  Rancho Topaz   
near Topaz Lake, Nevada
I like the thought of leaving goats loose at night (and I've done it before), but after that hunter lost his three untethered goats in Idaho last fall and only ever got one back (that I know of), I don't think I could risk it. All it takes is for a curious bear to walk through camp and all your goats could take off running. We like to think they'll run to us, but if they panic they could run blindly and end up a long way off before they stop and realize that they're lost in a strange place and have no idea where to even look for you. The nice thing about being loose is that they can wander in search of browse, but the down side is that when they go even a little ways outside of camp they become a lot more attractive to predators.
The goat coats were not made to be reversible but there is no reason you could not use them that way. The gortex is out side and the inner fleece has a water resistant finish.
Sabine is right out the threat of the loose fence. My boys have been behind an electric fence since birth and never seem to touch any fence. My fence loosens up after a couple days of wind and rain and I need to tighten it up occasionally. Probable because I did not get it tight the 1st time. My fear is if some thing spooked the goats they may jump into a fence they otherwise would not touch. There are always so many risks having goats out in the wildness but what are you to do with packgoats? It is so much fun to have them out there with you.
I do have one goat that loves zippers and velcro which happens to be what holds the walls of the EZ-up onto the frame. Some how he does not pull on them enough to damage them or pull them off.
These Oberhasli goats are 180, 204, and 220 lbs, and 38 - 39 inches at shoulders. They learn quick, are very bonded, brave, handsome, and they never quit working on long hikes in nasty weather.
They're big! I still want an Ober someday. My goats are on the smaller side, the biggest one (who will be 3 in April is about 190-195) and is about 35 at the shoulder (but his rump is higherSmile - Not the best packgoat conformation. But with only my small truck to haul them around, the smaller guys seems to be ok for me. Another one is 5 and he's about 180. And then there's the one turning two (is that right Dave?) in March - haven't bothered measuring him lately.
*Saltlick*  Rancho Topaz   
near Topaz Lake, Nevada
Yep he will be 2 Smile

Well If someone is a goat coat maker lol, Id be seriously interested in a camo/hunter orange full sized coat. Hunting here allows for no orange during muzzle loader but its required for modern. So a reversible would cover both seasons
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(01-07-2014, 10:33 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: These Oberhasli goats are 180, 204, and 220 lbs, and 38 - 39 inches at shoulders. They learn quick, are very bonded, brave, handsome, and they never quit working on long hikes in nasty weather.
I can hardly wait to get my 4 Ober kids in the spring...you inspire/(d) me Nancy! Smile

TOU
Just curious Nancy,where did you get your obers? I love how well natured they are as well as being more comfortable around water but have been reluctant because so many are just smaller then I would want. If I found some as large as yours, it wouldn'tget much better then that. It seems like each breed has it's pros and cons. I really like Alpines and Obers!
These Obers all came from the same breeder. Colleen Monahan in Lacomb, Oregon. She import semen from very large Ober bucks in Switzerland, the home of the Swiss Oberhasli. I actually met someone from Oberhasli Switzerland last year. They did not know much about goats unfortunately. Her original farm was in Bonnie Doon, CA. She moved to Oregon in 2009. Her Ober boys are not small and the pros definitely out weigh the cons.