Hello from Israel!
Hello, I live in Israel and interested in pack goats! I am a hardcore hiker and I want to extend my range, and maybe live as a nomad for parts of the year. I first looked at donkeys but I see goats to be more valuable. yes I cant ride one, but a donkey cant follow where a goat will easily be.

In the meantime I herd goats and sheep for a local herd, but in Israel there is no such thing as pack goats, so Ill practically have to do it alone. 

I have question about breeds: the herd I work at is made of Damascus goat, Alpine and Baladi, and these are usually the most common breeds here. the damascus is bigger than the Alpine, and they are very friendly and great climbers. the baladi is about the size of alpine, has long hair but appearntly their milk is richer.

Any advice would be apreaceated!
Welcome! It's great to see goat packing gain an interest in other parts of the world!

Breed of goat is less important than strength, endurance, and athleticism. The goat should have strong conformation so it can carry a load on its back easily and without discomfort. It should have strong legs and sturdy, well-formed feet. The back should be straight to allow for easy saddle fitting and carrying. Damascus goats are often (but not always) sway-backed in the photos I've seen, and you want to avoid that in a packgoat. A good packgoat can be any breed or mix of breeds so long as it is built for the job and has a good attitude toward work.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your adventures!
(12-14-2021, 01:18 PM)Nanno Wrote: Welcome! It's great to see goat packing gain an interest in other parts of the world!

Breed of goat is less important than strength, endurance, and athleticism. The goat should have strong conformation so it can carry a load on its back easily and without discomfort. It should have strong legs and sturdy, well-formed feet. The back should be straight to allow for easy saddle fitting and carrying. Damascus goats are often (but not always) sway-backed in the photos I've seen, and you want to avoid that in a packgoat. A good packgoat can be any breed or mix of breeds so long as it is built for the job and has a good attitude toward work.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your adventures!

I added two pictures, of the two damascus males at the herd I work at. they are very tall for a goat, the hornless one is the biggest. their back seems flat, what do you think? I'll try to include a picture of the alpine billy goat and the two young mixed damascus+alpine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's hard for me to tell from photos, but when you look at a goat, look at the overall balance of his body. Does it look in proportion? In addition to a straight back, is the back long enough to allow for adequate saddle space but short enough to strongly support the load? Does the goat move athletically and with fluid motion? Do his hind legs step well up underneath him? And more than conformation, is the goat friendly and happy to follow you? Does he allow you to touch him everywhere and pick up his feet? Is he curious or his he fearful? Is he bold or timid? These are all things to consider when choosing a working companion.
(12-15-2021, 10:51 AM)Nanno Wrote: It's hard for me to tell from photos, but when you look at a goat, look at the overall balance of his body. Does it look in proportion? In addition to a straight back, is the back long enough to allow for adequate saddle space but short enough to strongly support the load? Does the goat move athletically and with fluid motion? Do his hind legs step well up underneath him? And more than conformation, is the goat friendly and happy to follow you? Does he allow you to touch him everywhere and pick up his feet? Is he curious or his he fearful? Is he bold or timid? These are all things to consider when choosing a working companion.

Very good points, thanks! another question- is it possible to use a goat for towing a small wagon?

^ Me and Sputnik winning the goat chariot race at International Goat Days Festival in Tennessee a few years ago. 

My goats can pull as a team too!

My goats help haul hot water to their pens on cold days in winter, and a couple of years ago they helped me haul firewood. 

We also have a fancy carriage that we drive in parades: