Newby
Hello all I’ve decided to pull the trigger on a few kids this year! I’m curious on what peoples preferred breeds are. I’m looking at either pure breed alpines which I’ve read are very athletic, leggy, and great willed. Or a majority kiko or a cross breed. Or does it not matter that much and depend more on there training and conditioning?? I’m excited to get into packing with goats it’s something I’ve been researching for a while!
You are likely to get as many answers as there are goats. I am an Oberhali enthusiast, although I love my alpine, and my friends Lamancha. Find a good breeder who knows the attributes in a kid that are likely to make a great packgoat. Good breeders can figure those kids out amazingly quick. I am not a breeder and rely heavily on the opinions of the breeder. Legs, a friendly heart, willingness, and curiosity. With a good foundation your training will take you where you want to get to.
(12-27-2021, 09:11 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: You are likely to get as many answers as there are goats. I am an Oberhali enthusiast, although I love my alpine, and my friends Lamancha. Find a good  breeder who knows the attributes in a kid that are likely to make a great packgoat. Good breeders can figure those kids out amazingly quick. I am not a breeder and rely heavily on the opinions of the breeder. Legs, a friendly heart, willingness, and curiosity. With a good foundation your training will take you where you want to get to.

Got it thanks for the reply appreciate it