getting started in New Zealand
Hi All, I live in the south Island of NZ. I have been researching pack goats for the last three months and cant wait to get started. I'm trying to get as much info so I don't make to many mistakes. As its the middle of winter here so I'm waiting for spring to get a couple of Kiko weathers kids to bottle feed. The Kiko breed in NZ is now a mix of other breeds as almost all the main Kiko heard was sold to the US some years ago. I would love some good info on how to Raise kids, how much to bottle feed and when? and any thing that could help me get set up. Thanks.
Welcome! There are several great books on the subject. You can also sign up for the goat tracks magazine. I am still learning as well and have my first two goats. Good luck!
Check out Northwest Packgoat Supply for books and gear. Best place to find everything.
(07-06-2014, 07:10 PM)sweetgoatmama Wrote: Check out Northwest Packgoat Supply for books and gear. Best place to find everything.

Hi Thanks for lead, ill check the books out.
Hi Rockman, new to the forum. Based in Christchurch and have been considering adding a goat to my hunting trips. How have you found it and any pointers for a complete beginner ?
(01-08-2017, 05:25 PM)khurl100 Wrote: Hi Rockman, new to the forum. Based in Christchurch and have been considering adding a goat to my hunting trips. How have you found it and any pointers for a complete beginner ?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The most important pointer should be: NEVER buy only one goat. They are herd animals and need at least one other goat companion.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Welcome! You sure live in a beautiful country!
Thanks guys, also what would be the recommended size of pen enclosure for 2 goats or kids. Would be aiming for regular hill walking exercise too.
As large as you can make it :-)

Also, plan to add climbing tools.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Welcome. I'm new to the group as well Smile