Respiratory infection?
I have a couple of goats that have respirtory infections. I took them to the vet and he told me that one has a upper respiratory infection and the other has a lower infection. We first tried duraxxon with no signs of improvement. 3 weeks later we gave cephalexin which is a two dose drug. Gave the first round last saturday will give the second dose this saturday. Still no visiable signs of improvement. Goats are still active, eating and no other signs if distress other that the rattle sound in their lungs and one has a runny nose. Does anyone else have any suggestions how to get rid of a respiratory infection?
I'd say this is a case for thegoatspot.net forum. There's a ton of experienced people there when it comes to goat doctoring.

I once had one with pneumonia. The vet cleared it up very quickly. It kinda sucks your more mild infection is being stubborn.
Last year I had two goats with what sounds like the same thing. The vet gave them 2.5cc SQ of Draxxin and 3cc SQ of Nuflor. Two days later he had me give another 3cc SQ dose of Nuflor and the next day he had me give them 2.5cc SQ dose of Draxxin. It cleared them right up. You might ask your vet about Nuflor. The one-two punch of these two drugs really worked on my goats.
Goatberries Happen!
maybe a stupid question but has your vet ruled out lungworms as a cause for the infection, yet?
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

(12-26-2013, 09:59 AM)Sanhestar Wrote: maybe a stupid question but has your vet ruled out lungworms as a cause for the infection, yet?

no I will ask him
other ideas:

- moldy hay?

Has your vet taken a swab from the discharge to determine which pathogen is responsible? Could also help in determining which antibiotic is effective.
Sabine from Germany

PuebloPacker, who is your vet? Do you use the Mesa vet clinic? I'm just curious because we live in the same area. I haven't had much occasion to take my goats to the vet, but in my limited experience, Dr. Matt Braunschmidt is very good with the goats. He's gentle and patient and seems to understand that there are some of us who keep them as pets and are willing to spend the time and money it takes to keep them healthy for the long haul. I won't name names in public, but it seems that some vets kind of pass over goats and think of them as somewhat expendable, and that we'd be better off to let the sick ones go and buy new ones at the sale barn.
Is their shelter are clean or is there a high pee/ammonia smell?
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(12-26-2013, 10:53 AM)Sanhestar Wrote: other ideas:

- moldy hay?

Has your vet taken a swab from the discharge to determine which pathogen is responsible? Could also help in determining which antibiotic is effective.

I feed only alfafa pellets
same question then: mold in the pellets or are they ok?
Sabine from Germany