Questions for Goat/Horse Owners in Bear Country
Nothing beats electric fencing for keeping bears out. I use electric netting fences for the goats at night and I have a single-strand electric wire for my horses which smaller bears can run under, but large bears would zap themselves. The netting keeps out coyotes too. The good thing about grizzlies is that they are very shy and tend not to bother people. Black bears, mountain lions, and most of all coyotes, and stray dogs are your biggest concerns when it comes to goats. Usually the only predator that bothers horses is sometimes mountain lions. I've heard of bears, coyotes, and dogs attacking horses, but it's rare and they don't usually succeed the way lions do. Livestock guardian dogs are great for keeping predators from crossing your property to begin with. Electric fences combined with a couple of livestock guardian dogs should keep wildlife from bothering your critters.

Where is the property you're looking at? I thought you already had one wrapped up. I guess it fell through?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions for Goat/Horse Owners in Bear Country - by Nanno - 09-23-2020, 07:57 PM