Ashland lakes
Perfect trails for goats!  Boards and narrow walkways that keep them in line.  The road up to the trailhead requires some serious navigating as the road looks as though a B52 did a bombing run.  Potholes that caused my truck to scrape bottom. We made it to 3 of the 4 lakes as the trail was blocked off by forest workers.  Great time with the family and very few hikers that we ran into.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here is the map and how close we were to the 4th lake.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great job! And looks like a lovely day. I'm surprised you saw few people. I have grown to really dislike those bad roads when travelling with the goats, I feel bad for them and drive super slow. For more strenuous multi-day trips that have a long and/or nasty drive to the trailhead, I camp at the trailhead the night before so they'll be rested from the drive.  Well I guess me too.
(08-21-2020, 04:32 AM)Kat Wrote: Great job! And looks like a lovely day. I'm surprised you saw few people. I have grown to really dislike those bad roads when travelling with the goats, I feel bad for them and drive super slow. For more strenuous multi-day trips that have a long and/or nasty drive to the trailhead, I camp at the trailhead the night before so they'll be rested from the drive.  Well I guess me too.

It was 4 miles from the blacktop to the trail head.  It took us almost 45 minutes as I treat my cargo like it's fragile china.  The harder the roads the less chances of off leash dogs?.   There is non-stop browsing opportunity for the goats as well.  Probably their favorite trail as well.
Sounds like you are as careful as I am! My nemesis is the Salmon la Sac road over in E Wa. 12 miles of often nasty washboard, potholes, only a few good sections. For some insane reason I have taken the goats on trips out there for the last 3 years...  I always regret it as I am driving!
Kat Wrote:Sounds like you are as careful as I am! My nemesis is the Salmon la Sac road over in E Wa. 12 miles of often nasty washboard, potholes, only a few good sections. For some insane reason I have taken the goats on trips out there for the last 3 years...  I always regret it as I am driving!
That is how I feel about any drive back when I have to crawl down steep switchbacks in 4 LOW to avoid burning out my brakes.
Reminds me of a horsepacking trip over in the Okanogans a few years ago, trailhead was up at over 4000' elevation. Trailer brakes went out, and man did we crawl down slowly off that steep mountain... luckily it was a smaller 2-horse trailer that we were hauling.
Kat Wrote:Reminds me of a horsepacking trip over in the Okanogans a few years ago, trailhead was up at over 4000' elevation. Trailer brakes went out, and man did we crawl down slowly off that steep mountain... luckily it was a smaller 2-horse trailer that we were hauling.
I still need to buy a stock trailer, but boy could i only imagine the terror in that trip you described!