Snow finally melting
Took a pack string out with the kids and wife this Sunday.  Pilot hauled 28 lbs, Buddy hauled 26 lbs, Uber hauled 6 lbs and Thor on his first backcountry trip hauled 4lbs.  Was able to access some of my favorite spots with the pack string.  Lakes were chalk full of trout and this guy forgot his fishing pole!   Was greeted by a group of yellow bellied marmots down one of the mountain sides and enjoyed the look on ones face as we got within mere feet and he finally noticed us.  Even though the others let out loud whistles and all ran minutes prior.  I do have one gear question for those that pack in the wet areas of our country.  What do  you line your panniers with?  My sleeping bags were soaked from the vegetation touching the panniers.  It was a near perfect Sunday trip full of so many different views as we made our way up and down a few different mountain tops.  Goats were all robust this morning during feeding time and showing no signs of soreness.  All those local hikes are really paying off with conditions runs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

We had a problem with wet gear last year when our goats ended up in a creek that was deeper than expected. I thought next time it would be a good idea to line the inside of our panniers with heavy duty trash bags cut down to size. I had the wet brush problem on a trip a couple of years ago but luckily it was on the last day as we were heading out.
Nanno Wrote:We had a problem with wet gear last year when our goats ended up in a creek that was deeper than expected. I thought next time it would be a good idea to line the inside of our panniers with heavy duty trash bags cut down to size. I had the wet brush problem on a trip a couple of years ago but luckily it was on the last day as we were heading out.
Thanks, I will try the trash bags, and luckily they are lightweight and cheap.
I use Wiggy's sleeping bags exclusively. Their unique silicone coated fluff and breathable material is meant to force water out if it gets wet. And normal bags do tend to get wet just by your breath in cold weather, ending up pounds heavier from moisture over a week of use. They're light, machine washable and not damaged by long-term compression (Alaska bush pilots have them vacuum packed under their seats). They're a survival item since if a goat does dunk one in a river, they're still usable if totally wet unlike anything else. Plus they're not crazy expensive.

Also zip-lock makes gigantic zip-lock bags. Another option is these 'dry bags' that are made to keep hiking gear dry in a backpack. They have a way of folding-up and twisting the opening. They're a tad expensive but probably a good idea.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
I'll have to look into those Wiggy's bags.

I don't like the idea of spending a lot of money on waterproof "dry bags" when a heavy duty trash bag will do the same job for pennies. I spent $15 on a giant roll of 55 gallon contractor bags at Walmart three years ago to take to Rendy 2017 for trash cleanup. I ended up with a ton left over but I've used them on every goat trip since then so I can keep the trailer clean without leaving soiled bedding at the parking area. I just plunk one down inside the muck tub and lift it out when full. At the end of the trip, I take all the clean bedding still in the trailer and I sweep it into one of those bags so I can save it for later use. I've also used them as cheap disposable rain ponchos for both me and the goats. I tend to carry a few with me now when we go for a long hike or an overnight. If I'd known the boys were going to end up in the creek I'd have put our gear into our trash bags before setting out because I know I had some with us. Unfortunately I didn't think of it and they stayed rolled up at the bottom where they did us no good at all. I fold my clean trash bags back up and use them again until they wear out, and then they get used for actual trash or dirty trailer duty.