Truck Bed Box
Hey Everyone,
I am looking to build a box for the back of my truck to transport 3 goats. What size should the footprint be to accommodate 3 goats? Should I use a full 4'x8' sheet of plywood, or could I cut it down to 4'x6' to close the tailgate? Thank You, John
Depends on the size. Babies would be just fine in a 4x6. Adults, not so much.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
John,
I transport my goats in the back of my Dodge long bed with a fiberglass campershell, and have for over 16 years. I have hauled as many as six full grown, horned "Boys" all across this country with no misshaps. When I say full grown, I mean really "BIG", 6 of my "Boys" weigh between 250 and 300 lbs. The camper shell has a sliding window on the front and one on each side plus a full window on the back. They have "Never" broken a window or even beat on one. If I need to haul more than the back of the truck will comfortably accommidate I use a two partisioned 16' stock trailer that I have hauled as many as 20 big Packgoats in. I "Never" tie my "Boys" while traveling, they will work out their differences and settle down once you get moving. Don't try to interfer with their pecking order and dominance issues, they will sort it out.
I recommend loading your goats at the very last, getting in the truck and driving off. They tend to settle down quicker when they are moving down the road. Also, allways load your least dominant goats first and the ones at the top of the pecking order last. When unloading, reverse the order, unloading the top of the pecking order first. Well behaved "Boys" will make this all go smoother. Hope this helps !
Dwite, that is excellent advice! Smile

I hadn't thought about the herd dynamics when loading/unloading goats. My goats lie down once we are moving. In fact, when I open the trailer door to unload them a lot of times they are still lying down and chewing their cud!
Goatberries Happen!
(06-21-2014, 02:44 PM)Dwite Sharp Wrote: John,
I transport my goats in the back of my Dodge long bed with a fiberglass campershell, and have for over 16 years. I have hauled as many as six full grown, horned "Boys" all across this country with no misshaps. When I say full grown, I mean really "BIG", 6 of my "Boys" weigh between 250 and 300 lbs. The camper shell has a sliding window on the front and one on each side plus a full window on the back. They have "Never" broken a window or even beat on one. If I need to haul more than the back of the truck will comfortably accommidate I use a two partisioned 16' stock trailer that I have hauled as many as 20 big Packgoats in. I "Never" tie my "Boys" while traveling, they will work out their differences and settle down once you get moving. Don't try to interfer with their pecking order and dominance issues, they will sort it out.
I recommend loading your goats at the very last, getting in the truck and driving off. They tend to settle down quicker when they are moving down the road. Also, allways load your least dominant goats first and the ones at the top of the pecking order last. When unloading, reverse the order, unloading the top of the pecking order first. Well behaved "Boys" will make this all go smoother. Hope this helps !
Do you think 8 non-horned boys is possible in a 8 foot box?

TOU (On the prowl for a new-to-me truck.)
Ken,
Six 200 plus lbers is crowded. So eight 200 lbers I would say no, Smaller 150 lbers, maybe. Crowding can cause overheating in warm weather. To haul eight, or more, big 'Boys" a trailer is needed.
(06-23-2014, 07:32 AM)Dwite Sharp Wrote: Ken,
Six 200 plus lbers is crowded. So eight 200 lbers I would say no, Smaller 150 lbers, maybe. Crowding can cause overheating in warm weather. To haul eight, or more, big 'Boys" a trailer is needed.

Yeah...I was having my doubts too. Blush Thx Dwite!
Oh,here is the correct thread Smile
My words have power...And so do yours.
My website: https://sydev.us