Goats and the winter cold?
I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered.  I couldn't find a string on it.  Here is my question.

At what temperatures and conditions should I start using goat coats in my home pasture.  My goats have good, three sided barns and dry fluffy straw to bed in. I think because we all love our boys so much, we have a tendency to forget they are well equipped animals for the cold and are overly cautious (but I'm asking, which means my theory is baseless with no evidence to back it up).   I need your advise so I have "rules to follow" of sorts.  Thanks so much...this group is so awesome and supportive...I appreciate you all, and Merry Christmas.  P.S. I do have one Ober who has a much shorter coat than the rest should I consider him differently?
I always consider each of my goats individually since they all have different needs at different times. However, the only goat I have that uses a blanket is Cuzco. He is 13 years old and refuses to let other goats into his shed to help warm it, and his teeth are worn out so he has a hard time eating enough to stay warm without blanketing when the temperature drops below 15 degrees.

However, Cuzco is the exception because of his age. Most goats should be fine without coats. If your goats are in their prime, healthy, and have adequate food and shelter then they should not need blankets. A bellyful of hay keeps them warmer than any blanket ever could. Keeping them dry and out of the wind will also do more than blanketing. If your healthy young goats are shivering when the temperatures dip, then first look at your shelter and feeding regimen. They should get enough hay in the evening to fill their bellies through the coldest part of the night. Make sure the shelter openings face away from the prevailing wind. If you get a lot of wind and/or very cold temperatures it helps to cover the fourth side of the shelter and just leave a small doorway. These are the things I would do before blanketing. If the goats aren't shivering then they're fine.

I do like to keep several different-sized blankets on hand in case I have a goat get sick, or if I have to transport them in wintertime. Every now and then we've also had a new goat that the other goats wouldn't allow into any shelter, and that one may wear a blanket during storms until they are more accepted in the herd.
Marc, I will echo what Nanno said. I will also add that you need to make sure that your goats have access to warm water this time of year.  If you have one of those heaters to stick in their water tank, that really helps.  I will occasionally even heat up water on the stove to give to them, as a special "treat" on really cold days, they seem to really suck it down when I bring them some of that to drink.  While that probably isn't necessary,  I do think that the warmer the water, the more they will drink, & the more they drink, the better they feel.   Smile

Happy Holidays to your & your goats!--Saph
(12-24-2015, 02:10 PM)Marc Wrote: You are awesome!!!   Thanks ...   I'm not worthy of my esteemed member title.  
I think you're an esteemed member. Smile

Merry Christmas! And if the goats need some extra "cheer" to keep warm this holiday season, just tip some dark beer into their warm water. Wink
Here is what I tell everyone new to goats. Goats need a draft free and dry shelter with venting at the top.

A three sided enclosure is a little open for my tastes as wind tends to change directions throughout the winter. But a three sided shelter is great for warmer weather. So I fashion a 4th wall with like a doggy door style opening in a larger swing or sliding door. That way I can either open or remove it once the weather warms up. Now where we live, we typically only get 2 or 3 weeks a year where the low temp doesnt get above freezing and rarely get enough snow to even mention and I still do this. For those that live in colder / snowy areas, such as yourself Marc, I would suggest the above if possible and if your goats will allow it. Some goats, like to dominate a single shelter if this is done. Keeping the lower ranked animals out in the cold. In this case I would suggest a wind break in front of the opening. Say 4 to 6 fee out away from the shelter extending 4 feet past the opening on either side of the shelter. Even something as simple as some posts and OSB sheets are an effective wind break. For venting I like to use 4x12 soffit vents. Super easy to cut out a rectangle up near the top and screw these over the opening. I will see if I cant find a picture of my kid/yearling shelter.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Ok could only find a side shot of the kid/yearling shelter. Its 24'x12' with a 12/3 roof pitch, separated into 2, 12' shelters with a horse panel / feeder in the middle. We use this feeder when its raining outside during winter to keep the kids and yearlings dry. Otherwise you can see their feeder in the picture. Its what I call a fence feeder as it resembles a farm fence. This allows me to feed from outside of the pen without having to try and lift flakes over the fence and drop into a feeder. With the wind we get, the last thing you want to do is life a flake of hay at face height. Anyways, back to the shelter. I made it exactly this size to accommodate the typical number of animals we have in each pen and to give them 2/3s of a full 4th wall. Each side of the shelter as a slightly smaller then a 4x8 opening. This way I can use a sheet of OSB as a door. Either on hinges or as a slider. There are also small access doors on the outside back wall that we can open to fill up their loose mineral feeders.

As for the venting you can see the soffit vents there on the side. I also have a 16 inch opening along the entire front wall at the peak with removable clear corrugated siding. I close off all but a couple of feet of this opening during the winter and remove them during the summer for better ventilation. I do the same thing on the lean toos on the main barn. You can see them on the outer sides near the roof line. These also just unscrew during the summer and add to ventilation. I used the clear to of course provide some light.

OH! and if you look close you will see some 6 foot chainlink siding on the shelter. I do this first to keep them from eating the barn and second, they love to rub on chainlink to scratch themselves.

[attachment=2162]
[attachment=2163]
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(12-24-2015, 04:57 PM)Nanno Wrote: I think you're an esteemed member. Smile

Merry Christmas! And if the goats need some extra "cheer" to keep warm this holiday season, just tip some dark beer into their warm water. Wink
Hello All
I'll go with the beer in their water "Make it Gunise" Good for Man and Beast. Big Grin
Note: None of that "Light" Stuff it comes from sick Clydesdale's 
Goat like lots of hops and malted barley flavor.

Happy Trails 
Let the goat do the Driving
hihobaron