GROUP HIKE! -- One Week In The San Rafael Swell
Arriving at the San Rafael Reef (part of the San Rafael Swell), Herb scouted ahead for a place for us to camp.  While he, his dog Luna and his goat Shelby GT are traveling in a Lexus SUV and can go anywhere the rest of us had trucks, trailers and campers that needed a little more room.  He found a great spot where we were near both Goblin Valley State Park and the Wild Horse Window.

We set up our camps and gathered in the shade of my trailer for visiting and more rock painting.  We had a very talented group of artists in the group!

The next morning we headed to Goblin Valley State Park.  You would never know this existed looking at the landscape.  After paying admittance we drove up the road and as we pulled into the parking area Goblin Valley opened before us.  Are we on a different planet?!

The park features thousands of hoodoos, referred to locally as goblins, which are formations of mushroom-shaped rock pinnacles.  Using your imagination you can see all sorts of images created by the hoodoos.

Can you see the camel?

Bourbon loved looking up at the cliffs.  We ran into a lot of dead end canyons.  He thought we should scale the wall!  I told him we needed to retrace our steps.

I could not believe the number of people that began showing up about 45 minutes after we arrived.  Our goats were a magnet and I met people from France, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and throughout the US.  One gal had lived in Utah her entire life and never visited Goblin Valley before!

Once we were all back at the parking lot and loaded up we headed out.  Everyone else went to hike Crack Canyon while I decided I wanted to go back to camp.  They were gone a long time and I later heard the road to Crack Canyon was a real bugger but that Crack Canyon was beautiful.
Goatberries Happen!

Messages In This Thread
RE: GROUP HIKE! -- One Week In The San Rafael Swell - by Taffy - 10-06-2019, 02:04 PM