My new Pack Goat Protectors...(long & picture heavy)
Quote:My only concern is when I take all the goats out, and they are bonded to them, that they get upset. Others have told me that they get miserable and howl until their charges return. May just have to leave a goat or two in reserve to keep them happy.

^THIS!

The first morning, I left Daisy in the pen while I fed the goats. I've always fed the goats down by my house since that's where I keep the grain, and it's easier to bring the goats to the food than to bring the food to the goats, if you know what I mean. Wink

The goats wouldn't eat as long as the dog was looking at them, so I figured I'd leave her locked in the pen until everyone finished breakfast. Bad idea! Daisy went crazy! She even dared to try the electric fence again, even though she had touched it the day before (with very dramatic results). She barked and howled the whole time until I brought the goats back.

Since then I've let everyone out at the same time and the goats have to deal with having a dog watch them eat. Once out of the pen, Daisy goes into the fields and around the house to check things out, but she doesn't lose track of the goats for more than a minute or two before she's back to check on them. I'm concerned about letting her come with us when we walk goats because, like you, I don't want her thinking that her territory is bigger than our 40 acres. But at the same time, there's no way I can leave her back at the goat pen by herself. I wonder if we'll start taking only two goats walking at a time and leave two for Daisy to watch over. She'd be a wreck if we took them all! I need a bigger herd.

Messages In This Thread
RE: My new Pack Goat Protectors...(long & picture heavy) - by Nanno - 12-23-2013, 02:02 PM