My new Pack Goat Protectors...(long & picture heavy)
(12-23-2013, 11:27 AM)Nanno Wrote: Good find! I hope these guys work out awesome for you! Sounds like they already are.

Thx so much Nanno...they are already working their way in to our hearts.

Quote:I'm sorry your dogs got maced, but it may be a good thing in the long run. If someone had taken them in, fed them, and fussed over them, they might be more inclined to keep leaving. As it is, they probably got scared out of their wits and your pasture may feel safer to them now than the outside world.

Yeah...pretty irritating and way over reaction but it is over and they are fine as it was mainly on their bodies...it is all but gone now. In a few months, I think it will be a non-issue once bonded with my goat boys.

Quote:I'm sure we'll take Daisy with us whenever we take all the goats for a walk at once, but if any goats are ever at home, that is where she will be expected to stay.

I will continue to hike & pack with my Springer Tess because THAT is who she is. She is well bonded to them and she is much easier to control on the trail but will still serve as a warning bell. I thought about taking them out with us & socializing them more but I have decided against it as it is NOT who they are nor is it really who I want them to be...NEED them to be. (I also can't imagine trying to handle two +125# LGD's, a wired Springer, and several pack goats should chaos erupt on the trail.) I also don't want to expand their territory more than our pastures as it may send mixed messages to them. So when I have walked our 16 acres of pasture, I have taken them but won't if it is out side of that.

My only concern is when I take all the goats out, and they are bonded to them, that they get upset. Others have told me that they get miserable and howl until their charges return. May just have to leave a goat or two in reserve to keep them happy. Smile Right now it is not a problem yet.

Quote: I won't be taking her with me when I ride horseback either. She is a goat guardian, not a people companion.
Exactly.

Quote:Right now Daisy is doing like your dogs and is a lot more excited about me than about her new charges, but she is already starting to shift focus a bit.

Yeah, I think it will settle out and taking her out with out the goats anymore than you have to these first few weeks will just delay the bonding to them.

Quote:I think she just had a brief panic attack about being left alone with Cuzco now that he's becoming aggressive toward her.

I'm sure that they will work it out their relationship & she will likely make better friends with some than others. Key is if she will defend them all. Besides, like I mentioned, I think that their presence is a serious deterrent to predators in and by itself.

Quote: This morning I put down some big rocks on the inside of the gate (mine swings out) to discourage any further digging. As she doesn't appear very determined, I think this will do the trick.

LOL...my gates swing both ways but I put large railroad tie type timbers under them and butted up against the lowest rails. I think that should shut those spaces down for them or predators digging or moving them...but now my gates only open one way. Wink

Quote:Good luck with your new dogs! I hope they keep your critters safe and that your goats don't mess with them too much.

Same goes for you, sorry for your loss. Hang in there! Thx for your input.

TOU

Messages In This Thread
RE: My new Pack Goat Protectors...(long & picture heavy) - by TOU - 12-23-2013, 12:46 PM