New goat packer in central Colorado
(05-19-2019, 02:01 PM)Nanno Wrote: One reason I think Nubians can be "lazy" is because the wooden saddles that generally fit the Alpines very well do not fit the typically broad Nubian backs at all. People don't realize this and they saddle the goat and weigh him down with packs, but they don't realize that the saddle is pinching very painfully and that's why their goat is stopping, laying down, crying, and turning back toward the trailhead. I'm becoming more and more convinced that there are very few "lazy" goats in the world. When a goat isn't working well, it's probably because he's hurting somewhere but he doesn't have any way to tell you. Some goats will push through the pain and work anyway, but Nubians are definitely more sensitive than other breeds and they will usually tell you when something hurts. 

completely agree! Nubians here in Germany also have a very long back and are often higher in the hind end then in the front. All these traits can result in a poor saddley fit when using a wooden saddle. And the longer backs get tired sooner.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

(05-19-2019, 08:34 PM)Sanhestar Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 02:01 PM)Nanno Wrote: One reason I think Nubians can be "lazy" is because the wooden saddles that generally fit the Alpines very well do not fit the typically broad Nubian backs at all. People don't realize this and they saddle the goat and weigh him down with packs, but they don't realize that the saddle is pinching very painfully and that's why their goat is stopping, laying down, crying, and turning back toward the trailhead. I'm becoming more and more convinced that there are very few "lazy" goats in the world. When a goat isn't working well, it's probably because he's hurting somewhere but he doesn't have any way to tell you. Some goats will push through the pain and work anyway, but Nubians are definitely more sensitive than other breeds and they will usually tell you when something hurts. 

completely agree! Nubians here in Germany also have a very long back and are often higher in the hind end then in the front. All these traits can result in a poor saddley fit when using a wooden saddle. And the longer backs get tired sooner.
Great info.  Looks like I will be looking for a custom saddle for this boy.
(05-19-2019, 03:50 PM)Nanno Wrote: No, "Lake City" isn't a good goat name, but San Cristobal could be. Or how about Slumgullion? Wink

San Cristobal, what a gorgeous lake to be named after.  There are several passes I've been over down there that I know you are familiar with that would make good goat names.  In fact, Ophir is really named for the pass that I am found of, more than the town.  Cinnamon Pass would be good to name a goat for.  If I had any girls I would have to go with Imogene.  I towed a trailer with my jeep over that one last summer.  What an adventure.    
Animas, after the river or town.  Carson, after the ghost town.  Poughkeepsie after the gulch.  Yankee Boy after the basin.  I could go on.  Gotta get more goats.
I did a short article on saddle fit some years ago, using my goats as models.

I can't attach the document, should yoube interested, let me know and I will email the document to you.
Sabine from Germany

(05-20-2019, 06:31 PM)misterburley Wrote: Great info.  Looks like I will be looking for a custom saddle for this boy.

Not necessarily. My first goat, Cuzco, was an Alpine/Nubian cross and his back was the perfect, standard shape to fit a typical wooden crossbuck saddle. He had high withers and the very straight, ridged spine of his Alpine heritage. See how your boy grows out and make an assessment when he's about three years old. If he looks like he's pretty close to fitting a wooden saddle at that age, then by four or five he will probably fit a wooden saddle very well as the withers will become more prominent as he matures.
(05-20-2019, 06:44 PM)misterburley Wrote: San Cristobal, what a gorgeous lake to be named after.  There are several passes I've been over down there that I know you are familiar with that would make good goat names.  In fact, Ophir is really named for the pass that I am found of, more than the town.  Cinnamon Pass would be good to name a goat for.  If I had any girls I would have to go with Imogene.  I towed a trailer with my jeep over that one last summer.  What an adventure.
Animas, after the river or town.  Carson, after the ghost town.  Poughkeepsie after the gulch.  Yankee Boy after the basin.  I could go on.  Gotta get more goats.

You're making me homesick! I used to ride my horse up to Carson. I kept her at Camp Redcloud, so Carson, Snare Lakes, and the Continental Divide were all within riding distance. My dad ran Hummer Adventure Tours back in the 1990's and took tourists over all those high passes between Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton. I'll never forget the summer I had access to a borrowed dirt bike and was able to zip off over those trails. I think they're best on a dirt bike because you can cover so much ground (and boy are they darned fun!). COLD when an afternoon rain or snowstorm hits you, but at least you can usually get off the mountain quickly.

What kind of 4-wheeler are you driving in that photo? It looks like a Jeep Commando, but it looks kind of modernized. Hard to tell with the sign in front of it.
(05-21-2019, 09:29 AM)Nanno Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 06:44 PM)misterburley Wrote: San Cristobal, what a gorgeous lake to be named after.  There are several passes I've been over down there that I know you are familiar with that would make good goat names.  In fact, Ophir is really named for the pass that I am found of, more than the town.  Cinnamon Pass would be good to name a goat for.  If I had any girls I would have to go with Imogene.  I towed a trailer with my jeep over that one last summer.  What an adventure.

You're making me homesick! I used to ride my horse up to Carson. I kept her at Camp Redcloud, so Carson, Snare Lakes, and the Continental Divide were all within riding distance. My dad ran Hummer Adventure Tours back in the 1990's and took tourists over all those high passes between Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton. I'll never forget the summer I had access to a borrowed dirt bike and was able to zip off over those trails. I think they're best on a dirt bike because you can cover so much ground (and boy are they darned fun!). COLD when an afternoon rain or snowstorm hits you, but at least you can usually get off the mountain quickly.

What kind of 4-wheeler are you driving in that photo? It looks like a Jeep Commando, but it looks kind of modernized. Hard to tell with the sign in front of it.
It is a 1950 Willys Jeepster.  Very modified with more modern running gear and a 350 Chevy.  Dirtbikes are my other life long passion but as they say "with age comes a cage"  roll cage that is.  I love the San Juans.  Lifetimes worth of exploring and thats why I am interested in pack goats.  Get into the Weminuche where my motorized goat cant go.
(05-21-2019, 02:55 AM)Sanhestar Wrote: I did a short article on saddle fit some years ago, using my goats as models.

I can't attach the document, should yoube interested, let me know and I will email the document to you.

I would love to see this.  email is Misterburley@yahoo.com THANK YOU!
on the way!
Sabine from Germany

I wrote a saddle fitting article for Goat Tracks magazine last summer myself. It's among the articles here:
https://www.goatorama.com/articles/