Charlie Horse's 2019 Picture Thread
Today's hike started early.  We hit the dirt just as the sun began to rise over the horizion, and it was going to be a hot day.  It'll be best to get this exploration hike done before we cook!  Shelby GT (black) and Barry Goatalo (horns) and Luna (dog) were along for this one.

Lexus Luxury.  Why do they always pee on the leather the moment you stop? 

This is the Entrada sandstone, or the goblin-zone.

We headed south from Dutch Flat Road and the plan was to follow the base of the goblin cliffs until we hit a winding canyon, then come back on the broad ledge on top of the cliffs.

Met this guy.  They really have attitude.  He was cussing us out until we'd moved out of his territory.

Here we found a bit of a green area where water concentrated.

Catching a little shade as the sun got higher.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!

This area is just east of town and the road is smooth.  Its so popular that on this Labor Day Weekend, I even saw another car!

I found some copper stained sandstone.  Nice specimen!  Sometimes it comes in blue, sometimes green.

The Entrada is unique to the area and makes up Goblin Valley, but most people don't know how much is actually exposed. 

Its my goal to explore the entirety of these red ledges which extend from the north end of the San Rafael, down to the south end of the Swell, and onward toward Capital Reef.

There's so much more to see.  Here Shelby looks north toward Buck Horn Draw, where we'll be exploring on some future date.

Also, I saw something white on the ground- A six inch long piece of bone.  But upon picking it up, it made more of a ceramic sound rather than the old, weathered woody sound of a bone.  Its bone, but kinda fossilized somehow.  It has a few rub-marks on it and I'm wondering if its some kind of Indian tool.  I'll look at it a little closer later.  I saw no other bits of bone in the area.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
Thanks for all your wonderful pictures, I really enjoy them. Here in North Idaho you often cannot see very far in the distance due to vegetation and rolling terrain.
Today was Ferron's "Peach Days".  Since this year there was no car show, I just went on a very local hike.

I can see my house from here.  But this pile of giant boulders had a surprise.

Quite a nice panel.  A couple days ago I found some Indian scribbles, but nothing like this.

I keep seeing these goats-- But they arent mountain goats.  Sheep?  But sheep usually have the whole spiral.  I wonder if there was some kind of goat in the past thats gone now (shrug).  That or they foresaw the arrival of Bacchus to this very spot!

I hate it when.....

They do that.

Just a short hike.  Due to the parade it took a little longer to get home.  I took the Lexus up some hills and it turned out to be a lot more like off-roading than I thought when I looked at the road on Google.  It'd have been easier to walk!
This picture is a few weeks old, but I have a fantastic pear tree that all the animals love.  A big wind storm had knocked a bunch down, so I let the goats eat them for several short runs.  If I let them eat too many at once, then its the goats that get the runs.

Kinda boring hike on Sunday.  Pretty much no ledge to walk, so I ended up walking along the base of Entrada sandstone cliffs for a while.  The problem was there were every kind of prickle bush weeds getting into my socks.  I wanted to go up a canyon but it was thick with prickles so I cut it short.

See that field of yellow?  Lots of prickles in that, so I stuck to sandstone flats.
Ugh... pricker bushes! Cowboy boots are about the only thing you can wear through that stuff.
Very, very cool video!
Another cool video! Nice find on the pictographs!