Charlie Horse's 2019 Picture Thread
If I had gone out a day-- even an hour earlier there would have been too much mud.  We had a good snow year but finally it's all melting off and any new snow won't last.  Let the 2019 season begin!

This was a short hike.  I'm out of shape and so is Shelby.  While only in the 40s, to us it was a hot day indeed.  So we just did a nearby area I hadn't yet explored.

Some small hoodoos.

This area has tons of black, shiny and smooth pebbles.  I think I found their nesting site.

This is a globular cluster.

This was our view as we rested in the shade of some hoodoos at the edge of a cliff.  I should have brought a book and relaxed a bit.

I love the flat sandstone surface.  I don't think many people come here.  I saw some bicycle tracks from last year, and some old clay pigeon fragments, but no signs of tourists.

We ended up following the horseshoe bend in some cliffs, high on a sandstone shelf. 

This is the formation with that spire at the end.  It looked a little lumpy so I decided not to take the animals this time.  Ok.  My feet were tired, I admit.  Really, though, with this smooth stone you need to study that you can get back up places you go down.  I just wasn't into that today.

Shelby GT was the perfect goat.  He got a little hot, but overall I think he had a good time.  I wouldn't want to do this trip in the middle of summer.

We turned around when the shelf we were on ended.  There was a smooth ramp up to the next shelf, but I'll explore that another time.  The shelves get smaller the higher you go, so they get more rocky and rough.

Thats it for this trip.  It was just a 3 hour warm-up for the season.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!

Messages In This Thread
Charlie Horse's 2019 Picture Thread - by Charlie Horse - 03-17-2019, 08:27 PM