Lone Star Hoofenanny April 5-7
Howdy parders! It's about time we had a packgoat gathering down south, so I've organized a mini Rendezvous in Davy Crockett National Forest near Kennard, TX for Saturday, April 6th. I spoke to the district ranger yesterday and got the go-ahead. I'm anticipating camping out Friday and Saturday nights, but folks are welcome to stay only one night, or come down just for Saturday. Activities will only be planned for Saturday. My Texas liaison, Eric Mulkey, is planning to get down to the area sometime in the next week and snap photos and tell us a little more about the campground since I've never personally been there. 

If anyone decides they want to come, particularly if they want to camp, please let me know. I'll want to add you to my email list so I can keep you updated, and I also need to make sure we don't exceed the size of the facility. I told the park ranger it would be about a dozen parties. So far six parties have committed. 

It's gonna be a blast!
Dang, to bad I'll be out of town. Instead if hiking with goats, I'm taking this little (not) girl to run and play with a bunch of other dogs in a monster sized field.

Happiness is a working goat
Wish you could be there! Admittedly, it would be a very long way for you though. Pretty dog!
Thank you she's my favorite! Yeah would be along drive.
Happiness is a working goat
I've made a flyer to download for anyone who wishes to print some out and hang them in your feed stores, etc. Also, if any of you Texans could please pass them around to your State Park officials and invite them to come, we're going to have a "meet and greet" session Saturday morning from 9-11:00.

Attached Files
.pdf   HoofenannyPDF.pdf (Size: 142.98 KB / Downloads: 3)
We’re meeting at Piney Creek Horse Camp in Davy Crockett National Forest 3 miles south of Kennard, TX the weekend of April 5-7, with activities planned for Saturday, April 6th. Come for the weekend or just for the day!

Saturday schedule includes: 9am Packgoat “Meet ’n’ Greet”
11am picnic lunch hike + possible trail maintenance/cleanup
Afternoon seminars, including hoof trimming, saddle fit, training

Please contact me for more info or if you plan to camp overnight. Camping is $10/night per vehicle and is first-come, first serve. There are 21 spaces available, so I need to know how many plan to show up and for which nights so we don't exceed the facilities. There is a water spigot and a pit toilet, but bring your own toilet paper since it may not be sufficiently stocked by the park service.

I've heard that the Texas state parks do not allow goats. Our packgoat enthusiasts in the Lone Star State would really like to see this change, particularly in parks with horse trails. With that in mind, those of you who live in Texas should print out some of those flyers in the previous post and hand them out to your state park officials. I would like the Saturday morning "meet & greet" to be somewhat geared toward introducing your state park people to packgoats. This is the first step toward changing regulations in your state! You guys have some beautiful state parks and trails, and I'd love to help you gain access, but since I don't live in Texas, I need YOU to be the "boots on the ground" who will take the time to invite your state park representatives to this event.

I'm really looking forward to this!
(02-24-2019, 02:13 PM)Nanno Wrote: We’re meeting at Piney Creek Horse Camp in Davy Crockett National Forest 3 miles south of Kennard, TX the weekend of April 5-7, with activities planned for Saturday, April 6th. Come for the weekend or just for the day!

Saturday schedule includes: 9am Packgoat “Meet ’n’ Greet”
11am picnic lunch hike + possible trail maintenance/cleanup
Afternoon seminars, including hoof trimming, saddle fit, training

Please contact me for more info or if you plan to camp overnight. Camping is $10/night per vehicle and is first-come, first serve. There are 21 spaces available, so I need to know how many plan to show up and for which nights so we don't exceed the facilities. There is a water spigot and a pit toilet, but bring your own toilet paper since it may not be sufficiently stocked by the park service.

I've heard that the Texas state parks do not allow goats. Our packgoat enthusiasts in the Lone Star State would really like to see this change, particularly in parks with horse trails. With that in mind, those of you who live in Texas should print out some of those flyers in the previous post and hand them out to your state park officials. I would like the Saturday morning "meet & greet" to be somewhat geared toward introducing your state park people to packgoats. This is the first step toward changing regulations in your state! You guys have some beautiful state parks and trails, and I'd love to help you gain access, but since I don't live in Texas, I need YOU to be the "boots on the ground" who will take the time to invite your state park representatives to this event.

I'm really looking forward to this!
Count the two of us in and up to four goats, just not sure which four yet. We will probably come in on the 4th and will either leave the 7th or 8th. Have sent out about 20 of your flyers to various Texas parks. Hope they get notice. Nice job on flyers and newsletter.
Thanks! We are sure looking forward to it! Thank you so much for sending out the flyers. I think you should follow up with the rangers at the Texas parks by calling them on the phone in a week or two. Sometimes if a person is on the fence about attending something, hearing a voice over the phone is enough to get them to commit.
OK. Will try.