One Success, One Utter Failure OnTrimming Hooves
Well, of all.things, Hubby came up with an idea to trim Sprite's hooves, our breeding buck we hope to wether and turn into packgoat. He was bottle fed, nice gentleman except when it comes.to those hooves. Hubby kept poking food into him as I trimmed to distract him. Success! Well, it was a bit of a once over.lightly with the shears, probably as much.as.I should for.first time in so long anyway. Wasn't about to try the Hoof Master on him today.

However the war goes.on without old.buck, Dickens, well-named because he is!  He is.badly crippled in One.frontleg, two-year-old.injury but still.able to.chase.the girls. That leg is.really twisted around eastern, knee bends.slightly backwards. Keeps.it straight even laying down like he can't bend it so well, one year after the initialbreak, we.took him to get for something unrelated.and.the vet. Techs were.so rough with him, they broke it again! Vet kept saying he would not put him down. He could still breed. Well, surprisingly he is.walking/limping better than in the last two years. But I am afraid to rough-house him too much for fear of injuring that leg again.
+
We tried two ropes.around his.neck tied to the ties of a.horse.trailer. He kept fighting till he choked so bad he was.throwing up. We frieked and.untied him. I only got one foot up in air, his one.good.front, worrying how.much pressure.that was putting on his.bad leg. That foot was so bad, I don't know how to describe it. It was like the pad in the center was misshapened folds of wrinkles. I barely made an cut at all and brought some blood. I backed off.and tried to lift a back foot but could not hold him. Both hubby and I together are not strong enough or quick enough to grab both legs on one side.to flip him. He is a.fighter!. 

So still looking for solutions to this one. Thank goodness.we.can see.a.little.light at end of.tunnel on Sprite but not.this one, yet!

Any other suggestions? Farrier.won't touch goats. And I am weary taking goats to large herd farms.for reasons Idahonancy brought up.

Messages In This Thread
One Success, One Utter Failure OnTrimming Hooves - by blackie's maiden - 10-28-2018, 12:06 PM