Two 2 1/2yo Nubian Weathers... could they be pack goats? Would like opinions!
Hi there,

I recently came into the possession of two approx 2 1/2-3yo full blooded nubian weathers. They're roughly 3 1/2-4ft tall (was going to measure them but couldn't find the measuring tape Dodgy ) I'm 5'7" and they come to the point of my hip at their withers.

Anyway, theses boys weigh every bit of 200-225lbs, they're very gentle, will follow you all over, easy to catch and handle and they're broke to lead. They were raised together so they got along good, no problems and they're easy keepers. I've just had them around the place eating weeds.

I'm wondering if theses guys are worth anything as potential pack goats? I know what they're worth as meat goats but I'd really rather not see them go to butcher. I'd like opinions on what they're worth and if they have any extra value as possible pack goats.

The pics aren't the greatest as I was by myself and it was hard to get decent pics of them without them following me around.

Thanks!

Attached Files
.jpg   bluegoat.jpg (Size: 142.97 KB / Downloads: 60)
.jpg   browngoat.jpg (Size: 134.8 KB / Downloads: 59)
Those are nice looking goats!
For the most part, full blood nubians and or boers do not make good pack goats. There are people like Nanno who has found good success with a nubian cross. The normal laid back behavior that makes a nubian a popular dairy goat pick doesnt translate over very well into the pack world. They dont tend to have the stamina of the short eared breeds, are often stubborn and as most know, are very noisy. With that being said, it still wouldnt hurt to offer them as pack goats. You may actually get less then you would for meat prices as its going to be very risky for someone to spend money on them with the likely hood of them not working as packers.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
You could always try them out as packers and just see how they do. I know *most* Nubians tend to be poor packing prospects, but there are exceptions to every rule. It would be a shame to sell these beautiful goats for meat. Even if they weren't amazing packgoat prospects, they might be plenty good enough for someone who isn't a serious hiker, and there's also a chance they would be excellent cart goats. That's one area where the Nubian's mild-mannered and gentle nature will work in their favor. Carting is not nearly as strenuous and does not require the endurance of pack work, and a gentle, people-oriented attitude is very important.

One thing that isn't often mentioned that runs in the Nubians' favor for working goat prospects is their great chestiness. They usually have a great brisket and deep chest, which is often the Alpines' weak spot. These guys also have very nice, sloping shoulders and look very strong. It wouldn't hurt to take them out for a few hikes and see how they do. Even without a pack, you may be able to get a decent idea of what their attitudes are like on the trail and whether they'll follow you willingly up some steep hills and across water. If they'll do that without a pack, there's a good chance they'll do it with one.
After more than 16 years of breeding, raising and training seven different Full Blood breeds and quite an assortment of hybrids and at one time having 53 working Packgoat wethers, I can "NOT" discount the Nubian breed. Out of 4 Full Blood Nubians I have had, one, "Jake", I would rank in my top 5 of "All Time", and I can say I "Never" heard him make a sound his entire life. He was "Great" ! Wish I still had him. His Partner died unexpectedly at 2 yrs. but was also great upto that point. A third one, "Cole", is currently 2 yrs and is also doing very well, a keeper ! The 4th one, "Chief", was pretty much worthless as a Packgoat. But "Chief" did not come to us until he was 2 yrs old, which probibly contributed to his worthlessness. I have also had a number of worthless Packgoats from almost all the other breeds too.
I have had a number of Full blood Boer Packgoats, All of them "extremely well bred" and long legged. I have "Never" had one that didn't do a really good job. Very powerful, with good endurance and excellent behavior. Great in the UP & Down. They are followers. I sold four of my "Best" Packgoats to Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus last October. One of them was "Valintino" a Full Blood Boer (grandson of Pistolaro, a National Champion). We "Adored" him !
Granted, some Nubians can be a challenge, and will always be followers when Packing with Alpines, Obers and some other breeds, but thats OK, you need followers too.
Nubians raised with Alpines are not actually Nubians. They are Nupines and are not nearly as lazy or stubborn Tongue lol It seems much of the lazy, stubborn nature of the Nubian breed is a learned skill passed down from generation to generation! Big Grin
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(06-03-2014, 08:30 PM)Dwite Sharp Wrote: After more than 16 years of breeding, raising and training seven different Full Blood breeds and quite an assortment of hybrids and at one time having 53 working Packgoat wethers, I can "NOT" discount the Nubian breed...

^ Thank you for saying this! Sometimes I feel like I might be crazy crossing Nubians and Alpines and hoping to get some good packgoats, but there are a lot of things about Nubians that I really love. I love their long legs and their easy, ground-covering stride. I love their long necks and high head carriage. They're graceful, efficient movers. I love their chestiness and depth. I also love the sweet, people-oriented nature so common to the breed.

I definitely think the ones posted here for sale should be taken out on a hike or two just to see what they do. If they're willing followers and are easy to handle, I don't see why they wouldn't make good working goats for someone with a little time to train them.