Seventh Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation"
Our original plan for Day 6 was to hike to Williams Lake far above Taos. It was supposed to be a sunny day with temps in the 60's, but the morning dawned cold, foggy, and overcast with snow still spitting fitfully from the sky. The mountains behind our cabin had a dusting of snow, and I knew that above treeline it would be more than a dusting. We were not prepared for winter hiking, and the goats would have frozen on the long drive to the trailhead so we changed our plans. We decided to try one of the other trails within walking distance of our cabin. This one was called "Canoncita Trail" and sounded easy and fairly scenic in the description we found in our cabin. With the cold weather, we didn't plan a long hike and thought we would be back before lunchtime so we did not bother to saddle the goats. 

The trail wandered along a creek in a wooded canyon, crossing back and forth many times as we climbed.  

This hanging tree amused me. I wonder how long it had been suspended like that?

The goats enjoyed the zen circle. 

Huge, imposing rock towers rose up behind the trees.   

The creek was low, but it was beautiful. Crystal clear water tumbled down endless little cataracts, over ancient logs and mossy rocks. Golden aspen leaves looked like pirate treasure. 

The trees got bigger as we climbed. Many of the aspens had carvings reaching back for decades. 

Messages In This Thread
Seventh Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" - by Nanno - 10-05-2018, 07:33 PM
RE: Seventh Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" - by Nanno - 10-22-2018, 07:31 PM