Seventh Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation"
"Goat vacation" Day 2: 

The morning after our big hike to Wheeler, we finally got a good view of the place we were staying. I'd driven through Cottonwood Cove many times over the years when traveling to and from my hometown of Lake City, but I'd never stopped. It's a beautiful little spot nestled down in a narrow notch between big cliffs known as "Wagon Wheel Gap". I love staying in places like this with our goats because there are nice places to walk and for them to browse.   

We had a leisurely drive from Wagon Wheel Gap to Taos. We took the longer scenic route through Chama, NM and stopped in Carson NF between Chama and Tres Piedras to do a little exploring. 

I'ven ever seen an aspen tree like this before. Its trunk was burnt black and knobbly and it split into several trees further up--common in evergreens, but not so much in aspens. It obviously had been struck by lightning but lived.  

Not more than 25 feet away there was another lightning-struck aspen. This one was not so lucky. 

We discovered a weather station back in the woods. It had obviously gone through several technological generations. This thing was fascinating. I'm sure it has something to do with measuring wind, but have no idea how it works. 

We spent a good hour or more in this area and we think it might make a good Rendy spot. Hmmm...

Messages In This Thread
Seventh Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" - by Nanno - 10-05-2018, 07:33 PM
RE: Seventh Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" - by Nanno - 10-16-2018, 10:13 AM