Crushed making a DIY Sopris/ Warnke trainer saddle.
Hey Guys,
So my friends and I just got back from a pretty cool 3 day camping/hunting/ fishing trip and it went great, exept one of my friends goats had a fitness issue and could not carry his gear all the way to camp.  Well one of my other friends had brought this tiny little runt of a goat with him just for fun. Well they put the full sized saddles and panniers on that little goat and he carried it all the rest of the way to camp.  Very impressive. However the gear was huge on him. 

So I new of the "Warnke" kid pack but it seamed to lack structure for heavier loads and I had seem the Sopris system online.  I studied the pictures of both that I could find and started drawing and making up number and approximate lengths of stuff.  I had my friend take some rough measurement of his guy "Tonto" and I started cutting and sewing.  About 8 hours later we had a generation 1 load bearing mini adult soft saddle.  I think it is pretty good.  I incorperated all the stuff I liked from all the saddles I could find.  It has padded chest and brichen staps, that have smooth nylon on them so they will not rub and they also will not pick up debri.  It has a Y comming of the back of the saddle that connects to the brichen to keep the brichen strap up off the back of the legs which will keep rubbing to a minimum.  I put two cinch straps on it, one wider 2 inch strap in the front and a 1inch strap in the rear.  I got this idea from the " Warnke" rigging I have on one of my saddles that I really like.  I also put metal D ring on each end of the pack like a dog pack would have.  I added a long adjustable strap with fastex buckle to both the front and back for adding a lengthwise top load like a sleeping pad or tarp.  For the pannier attachments I chose to use fastex buckles on adjustable straps.  Although they are plastic the goat waise less that 80# so max load at 25% is 20#, devided by 2 minis the saddle weight gives you less than 10# a pannier so I think they will hold up.  Plus if one breaks it is easy to replace.  The material I used was a rubberized codura that used to be our old rescue tripod storage bag, the stuff is bomb proof. And for the spacer for the spinus comming off of the goats spine I made sleeves with draw sting closer that I could slide a pool noodle in.  The spacers them selves are poole noodles reenforced with 1 inch pvc pipe in the middle.  For panniers we are using two old wildland firefighting back packs that where part of a moduler system.  Also the saddle is bright orange, so are some of the straps and the panniers are bright yellow. All together the soft saddle and two panniers weigh 4.5 #.  Huge win for this tiny goat!!
The first pic is of Tonto with the big gear packing it to camp.  The rest are of the saddle and panniers I made.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pack up date-
My buddy did a 4 mile training hike with 20# on him.  Saddle and packs held up.
Then-
He did a overnight.  6 mile up and back 20 pounds, tarp and sleeping pad.  This little guy is a stud.

If Tonto is willing to give it all he's got. He deserves a custom little big goat saddle. He'll probably enjoy his job more with the right tools and will pay you back.
Great idea & story on the pack design.  

We tend to think pack goat size matters; but attitude...willingness to keep going is far more important!
What a champ! If you're interested in making a similar pack for my 60# nigi I'd pay handsomely for it. The pool noodle idea was smart but reinforcing them with PVC is a stroke of genius.
Deborah,
Thanks alot for the complement.  I can whip a saddle up for you no problem.  I have no idea what to charge.  The one I made for my friend is bomb proof but it is not the most visually pleasing.  How about I make it and send it to you.  You pay shipping and when you get it and if you approve we can figure out the price.  Thanks
That's great! and what a tough little goat. I also used "pool noodle" foam to replace the cylnder filling in my DCF Sopris, which I think their foam just might be a bit softer - they also use tubing inside, I didn't.
Super clever! I am envious of anyone who can sew. Looks great, sounds like your little guy has a whole lot of heart and now a fancy custom made saddle to go along with it 

Btw excuse the italics, I am technologically challenged and have done something I can't seem to undo Rolleyes
Deborah,
Here are the pics of you almost  complete pack.

(11-04-2018, 07:08 PM)Ms_Mudd Wrote: Super clever! I am envious of anyone who can sew. Looks great, sounds like your little guy has a whole lot of heart and now a fancy custom made saddle to go along with it 

Btw excuse the italics, I am technologically challenged and have done something I can't seem to undo Rolleyes

Thanks!!!