Cherry trees (Choke etc.) and other poisoness plants to out goats!!!
Unbeknownst to me my goats have been eating the leaves, blossoms & branches of Choke Cherry trees the last couple of weeks. I had no idea they were so potentially toxic to our goats until I read this thread on another forum. I do apologize for referring to another forum but the information could be critically valuable to any & all as ignorant as me.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f217/re...es-167151/

Enjoy!

goathiker Wrote:Black Cherry is a common, weedy, early-successional tree. The leaves release the distinctive cherry-like aroma of cyanide when crushed. Healthy leaves contain prunasin, which is converted to hydrogen cyanide (HCN) when the leaves are crushed. This highly toxic substance acts as a defense mechanism against herbivores.

goathiker Wrote:Now, this pertains to ALL species of Prunis which includes all cherries, plums, and red maples. Red maples are not the ones with red leaves either. They are all species of Sugar maple, Silver maple, and hybrids of.

We don't know for sure what mechanism turns the leaves poisonous. The wilted leaves of a broken branch, yes. Also young quick growing trees, sick trees, drought plagued trees, insect infested trees. Stress turns them poisonous.
The sad thing is that they can be eaten with impunity safely for a long time and then the goat stresses the tree by eating too much. When the leaves turn poisonous 1/4 lb. can kill a full grown cow.

goathiker Wrote:It's a quick poison.

The toxifying action of HCN is almost immediate; that is, as soon as it is liberated from the glucosides. The specific action of HCN on animals is that it combines with hemoglobin to form cyanoglobin, which does not carry oxygen. Thus animal tissues are deprived of necessary oxygen. The cyanide-poisoned animal shows an increased rate of respiration, increased pulse rate, gasping, muscular twitching or nervousness, trembling, foam from the mouth, blue coloration of the lining of the mouth, and spasms or convulsions; death occurs from respiratory paralysis. The clinical signs are seldom seen because most HCN-poisoned animals die within a matter of minutes once the toxic agent gets into the blood stream, usually within 15 to 20 minutes after animals consume the forage.
Thanks for the info! I hope you don't mind that I moved this to the Poisonous Plants section. I also don't mind at all that you refer to another website/forum. This is good information and being exclusive doesn't serve anyone well.
(05-23-2014, 02:00 PM)Nanno Wrote: Thanks for the info! I hope you don't mind that I moved this to the Poisonous Plants section. I also don't mind at all that you refer to another website/forum. This is good information and being exclusive doesn't serve anyone well.

No problem, just wanted to get the info out there. I should have put it there to begin with but didn't think of it. Thank you!

BTW, as you all probably already know this can be true of anything that has a stone or a pit.