General care and pack goat maintenance. All welcome to post
(02-12-2015, 01:32 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: Blocks dont work because goats need a lot more minerals then they can get outta a block. If the block is hard enough, they will wear their teeth down trying to get at it. So a loose mineral mix is what you need to be looking for. If possible stay away from oxide and sulfate based minerals for the 4 main ones that goats need. Its impossible to find a proper mix but with some hunting you can get close. I just ran to the Ki-Bi Red Apple here in Benton City and picked up a decent bag for Nebs. Ill take a picture and post it along with the manufacturer. Its not ideal by any means but its decent in that not all of the main minerals are just oxide/sulfate based. You can check out my link to my opinion of the perfect mix at the start of this thread.

Ammonium Chloride cant normally be found at a locale feed store so I like to order mine from hoeggers. Here is a link. I suggest to get 2 bags. 1 to mix into a 50 lbs bag of mineral mix and one to just keep handy for treatments. I like to give Legion 1 1/2 table spoons sprinkled on a small scoop of grain (this is the only time he gets grain) every 2-4 weeks just to make sure he is getting enough. Hard to monitor if each goat is getting enough out of their mineral mix. http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Ammonium-Chloride.html

ordered some Ammonium Chloride, thanks for all the help,
Matt

Messages In This Thread
RE: General care and pack goat maintenance. All welcome to post - by Duck-Slayer - 02-13-2015, 08:42 AM