Wind River - what sections available to goat packing?
Hi.  I know much of Wind River is closed to pack goats, but I believe there are some sections available.  Can someone tell me where is still accessible?
I'm sorry no one has responded to this yet. I'm not personally familiar with the Wind River area and I was hoping someone else would see your question. What you could do is call the FS ranger in that district and ask. They have all the maps and such and should be able to answer your questions.
Thanks Nan - that's a good idea. Too bad there isn't a "guide" to verified goat-friendly locations... especially as opportunities seem to be shrinking.
Dean--please go to the following link, and scroll down to Pages 40-42. The 3 maps show where, under the modified Alternative 3b, Pack Goat Use will be allowed on the Shoshone, including the Wind Rivers. 

Shoshone Final Environmental Impact Statement

Keep in mind that the Decision is currently going through the Objection Process, under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), so it is not final.  Once it does become Final, probably sometime in early June 2018, implementation begins immediately. So, these will be the areas where pack goats will be allowed, and only then, by using a permit system.   There are still lots of questions about the details of the permit system that the Forest Service needs to answer.  So this is by no means in any way finalized.  If you do contact the Shoshone, please let us know how the Forest Service answers your questions.  Their mission is "caring for the land and serving people."   They need to continue to provide customer service during this process. --Irene
Thanks Irene! Thats exactly what i was looking for. I've done several group backpacking trips and even more solo trips, and it would be great to take "the guys" in for a week.
It's been quite awhile since I've been into the Wind Rivers.  While much of the attention has been focused on the Shoshone (east side) legal situation; much of the nice high country is on the west side, Bridger - Teton NF.  I don't know what the situation is there now.  Perhaps contact the Pinedale ranger station?