WA Restrictiona
I'm a goat packer; can anyone jump in and tell me what restrictions I might encounter in the Cascades, say from Snoqualmie Pass through Stevens Pass and on up to the North Cascades Highway? (Hwy 20).
As far as I've read, as long as you stick to National Forests, you should be fine. In developed areas (trailheads, campsites, recreation areas) dogs are required to be on leash, I would assume a ranger would say the rules are the same for goats. Outside of developed areas, there are no leash laws. 
If you go to organized campsites, there won't be anything specifically prohibiting goats but you may or may not encounter resistance from hosts.

If you cross into any state parks, it becomes vague. There is a law on the books that says horses, sled dogs, llamas, and similar animals are not allowed in state parks unless specifically permitted. Whether goats count is a matter of perspective. Goats have a minimal impact on the trail, unlike horses, llamas, and sled dogs, which is what I assume they're getting after with the law. Some people might group goats in with horses and llamas. You should probably call or email ahead if you're visiting state parks and remember to get names to reference if you get stuck. 

If you're bringing hay, it'll have to be certified weed free or pelleted. I believe you'll need health certificate if you're coming from out of state.

All in all, this is not a state with may goat packers; when I called a dozen rangers with questions, none of them had ever heard of pack goats and no one had answers to my questions because of the rarity. You'll most likely encounter only surprise and delight from fellow hikers and it's unlikely that you'll meet a ranger or any other authority figure if you stay in the back country. Look out for dogs, coyotes, and bears and have fun!
You  need to check with each individual area you are hiking, for example, Glacier Peak Wilderness will have some restrictions: "Some trails are closed to stock due to steep grades, inadequate design, lack of grazing or other factors."

Alpine Lakes Wilderness has stock restrictions. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC...407053.pdf

Etc, etc.

Here is a link to a map that shows all the wilderness areas you would be traveling through, and you can do a search from there.  https://parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCenter...daries-Map

Hope that helps--Saph
Thanks to both of you for the quick response and the good help. I guess where there's a lot of people, there's a lot of rules. Pack goats aren't often encountered in Montana either, but the FS here is more curious than restrictive. I was once winding my way up a FS road, hauling my pack goat in a little trailer when I noticed a FS truck behind me. I pulled over to let him by, and he stopped beside me and rolled down his window. He said with a smile, "I just gotta ask. What's with the goat?" I explained about goat packing, and he was amazed. On that same trip, I was stopped by a flagger who was directing traffic around some highway road construction. The flagger walked up to my window and asked, "Taking your goat for a ride?"

My feeling is, if they don't allow pack goats, they ought to disallow deer as well. There both about equally easy on the environment.
Here’s my experience:

Some National Forest trails in Washington (about 2/3) allow Stock on the trail which includes horses, mules, llamas, and goats. All the trails that allow Stock, allow people, of course, and dogs.

Other trails are designated Hiker only, which means no Stock.   However, a few of the Hiker trails do allow llamas and goats.

Some areas (closer to Seattle) tend to have mostly Hike only trails, in some other areas most of the trails are open to Stock.

The NF website trail listings will usually tell which trails are Hiker only; but a more reliable method is usually to call the appropriate ranger station.

The North Cascades National Park covers some of the area you mention (north of Glacier Peak).  They do not allow goats on any of their trails, nor on trails in the National Recreation areas which they manage (like Ross lake).

So you really need to identify the specific trails you are interested in, and then inquire with the appropriate land manager.

Perry
(05-08-2018, 10:26 PM)Perry Wrote: Here’s my experience:

Some National Forest trails in Washington (about 2/3) allow Stock on the trail which includes horses, mules, llamas, and goats. All the trails that allow Stock, allow people, of course, and dogs.

Other trails are designated Hiker only, which means no Stock.   However, a few of the Hiker trails do allow llamas and goats.

Some areas (closer to Seattle) tend to have mostly Hike only trails, in some other areas most of the trails are open to Stock.

The NF website trail listings will usually tell which trails are Hiker only; but a more reliable method is usually to call the appropriate ranger station.

The North Cascades National Park covers some of the area you mention (north of Glacier Peak).  They do not allow goats on any of their trails, nor on trails in the National Recreation areas which they manage (like Ross lake).

So you really need to identify the specific trails you are interested in, and then inquire with the appropriate land manager.

Perry

Thanks, Perry. It's always a good idea to call ahead to the appropriate people.
Not much to add to the excellent advice already given, except that if you're going from Snoq to Stevens that says PCT to me, which should be fine for stock the whole way. Taking side trips to other destinations along the PCT may have some stock restrictions, ex: Spectacle Lake trail is hiker only, but you can horse (and goat) camp at Pete, Escondido, and Waptus Lakes. If you're into lakes and fishing Smile