Need hoove trimming tricks
My goats are pretty good about hoove trimming. They have a milk stanchion and treats hidden in a bag of hay attached to the stand that keeps them busy. My problem is arthritis in my left thumb and a recent injury to my right shoulder that will be a few months healing. I would like a way to secure the goats leg bent at the knee so I can trim the hooves with out the risk of a goat pulling the leg back. This happens mostly when I am doing the back legs. Usually I have a good grip with my right hand but less so now for a while. Any ideas?
Can you balance the lower leg across your thigh or grip it between your knees? I've done this with goats that were "kicky" and hard to hold. With obedient goats it will just help you keep the foot elevated so your hands can work.
Train the neighbor's teenager how to do it
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
teach them to keep the leg still themselves/place it into a u-shaped hoof-jack sized for goats.

Something/somehow like this

http://www.barhufprofi.ch/home/home/gallerie/
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Maybe try putting your leg under them right in front of the back legs? Like putting your foot on the milking stand and putting them over your knee? I groom dogs and that's how we deal with big, squirmy dogs, not sure how well it would work with goats. With smaller goats you can wrap an arm around them over their hips for a little more control. I also spray/flick/smack when they jerk around and don't put the foot down (even for a break) until they stop struggling for a moment.
(04-17-2018, 03:36 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Train the neighbor's teenager how to do it

^ Best answer by far except for one thing--teenagers are a LOT harder to train than goats!
Thanks I'll give a try. Who says you can't teach an old goat a new trick.
I don't really know how to explain it but when I trim a front hoof while they are in the stand (lets say goats left front) I would put my left knee in front of their leg with my left foot flat on the stand and apply pressure toward the back of the goat, my goats are pretty good but this helps them to stay more still. When I get to the goats left rear, I will lift the leg by putting my left knee in their hock joint, and then I can either use my arm pit to hold the leg down against my knee, and/or my left hand can hold the hoof while I use my hoof boss.

If this didn't make any sense I'm sorry, I know my goats can't get away with pulling their hooves from me and it takes the leverage away from them.
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
I think I get the picture. My milk stanchion is a bit high for me to put my foot on but I think I can fix that. What is a hoof boss?