Disappointing Training Session
As I was leading our breeding buck soon-to-be-wether-pack-goat, I hope, out the farm gate for a trial run, our other six-in-training squeezed out the gate with us. Well, ok, that included Blackie and Frankie who did very well following us in Idaho and Butterscotch who followed well at Reynolds Creek along with the other two. It also included our three four-month-olds, first time out of the fence. I figured they would follow their daddy and my other three fine since they all seem to be pretty good buddies. Went well turning toward my neighbor's side of the farm until some showed an interest in her roses. Not good! So I called them away and started the bunch in the opposite direction, no problem. On the opposite side of our farm, however, the six except for.Daddy whom I had on a rope, stopped dead in their tracks and with their eyes fixated on us, started bleating frantically. I kept calling to them as I continued to lead big Daddy further away. After about 3-5 minutes of this, they broke and ran back to the farm gate. I was crushed fearing this could happen somewhere out in wilderness. Now that side of the farm in the neighbor's cow pasture, there is tremendous coyote activity at night. Another testimony to our guardian dog's.great protection. Is it normal for them to pull these shenanigans like this one at home where they know the area versus being more reliant on their human in unknown territory or do I have real reason to worry?
Oh don't worry about that. Goats, horses, and whatnot won't react the same way around home as you'd get from them on the trail. My herd is very frustrating when I leave from home-- There are always a few more interested in eating landscaping than following the rest of us. If I call their bluff and keep going, there's always one that says "You go ahead. I'm good here." as they attack a fruit tree or something. Out on the trail you're their only anchor to the world they know. They will stay with you for sure.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
Whew!! Thanks, Charlie.
What you experienced sounds very normal to me.

In my experience, around the farm it’s going to take time to get them comfortable with following you away from the pasture.  Their pasture and shelter represent safety.  Leaving that safe spot can be very scary to them.

I’d start with taking them out one or two at a time, on lead, and only go a short distance, take plenty of treats, and sue them liberally.  I’d put a halter on my guys for doing this.  Get them used to the idea that being outside the pasture with you is safe.  Then start going a little further.

After they are comfortable following you on lead, start the same process over again, off lead.

Driving them to a trailhead in a truck, it less of an issue because you are not leaving from home.  Still, I’d do a simplified version of the same process.  On the trail, the trailhead and truck still represent Home and safety. 

If you pass someone who is heading toward the trailhead, they could decide to follow them.  If you stop, they could decide to head toward the trailhead.  It could well take half a dozen hikes, perhaps more for them to reliably follow you.

And of course, every goat’s different, but if one heads back toward the trailhead, the others are likely to follow.  There seems to be a strong tendency for goats to follow whoever goes first.

Thanks again. I know it was Frankie who was.doing the yelling or most of it. Not sure but I believe it was one of the 4 month olds.with zero experience that was the first to bolt and.then it was a.stampede. I am sure it does.not help that they hear so many coyote over that side.of.the fence.every night. Thanks to both of you for your advice.