what are people feeding babies for the first year?
Is he still getting milk? I try to make sure our boys get milk until they are at least 12 weeks and sometimes 16 weeks if they are smaller or acting immature.

Your goat is getting a lot of different things in his feed so it might help to take him off everything but the hay for now and when his berries become normal, add in your other feeds one at a time and see how he takes them. It won't hurt him to go off concentrates for a few days to encourage his digestive system to normalize. Then you can add things back in one at a time and see which is the one that's giving him trouble. If cutting back the grain has already improved his digestion, that's probably the culprit. I suspect the Purina is the problem, but it could be the Calf Manna, so mess with your ratios and amounts a little bit and see if you can find the right balance for your goat. I almost never feed my babies grain because my kids are dam-raised they get enough calories from free-choice milk. But if your guy is a bottle kid he may need those extra calories from the grain. Does he have access to any fresh browse and/or pasture?

Messages In This Thread
RE: what are people feeding babies for the first year? - by Nanno - 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM