Weigh Day for the future Ben Lomond packers.
I'm tempted to take all my goats down to our local vet to be weighed this fall on the big scale, just for the sake of curiosity. Weight tapes are great to gauge growth, but I'm not confident in the accuracy. It seems to make goats out to be heavier than they are (it said Finn was 35 lbs., which was why I got out the bathroom scale). It also says Pac-Man is 165 lbs. at 15 months and there's no way he's that big already. He's a chunk for sure, but he's not a monster. (Not yet anyway.) My weight tape measures Cuzco at waaaay past the 195 lb. mark when I know he's weighed around 200 lbs. for the last nine years. I'd like to get accurate weights on all my goats then measure them with the tape and write the results on the tape in red pen for future reference, or maybe make my own weight tape chart.
If your vet will let you weigh your goats on his scale I'd go for it. I agree weight tapes aren't accurate but picking up a goat once they pass the baby stage is a killer!

I'm bringing my bale scale and my measuring stick we use at shows so folks can see what their goats weigh and how tall they are. Maybe we should even have a contest on who guesses the weight/height the closest! Big Grin
Goatberries Happen!
The vet I go to for my goats shares the clinic with another who specializes in small animals. They actually both do a booming business with small animals...that is where the money is I guess.

Anyway, I took my two kids to assess one's scurs & to talk about getting them both wethered. While there I thought I would try to weigh them...nice concept. One immediately urinated at the door on the carpet as we walked in & the other left a box of raisins at the scale before I weighed them. There was a huge audience of pet owners watching with their Schitzus & Calico kitties with disgusted looks...I took them back out side and waited there until the Vet came out. Blush We decided to weigh them another time or differently. Rolleyes

(06-23-2014, 08:32 AM)Nanno Wrote: I'm tempted to take all my goats down to our local vet to be weighed this fall on the big scale, just for the sake of curiosity. Weight tapes are great to gauge growth, but I'm not confident in the accuracy. It seems to make goats out to be heavier than they are (it said Finn was 35 lbs., which was why I got out the bathroom scale). It also says Pac-Man is 165 lbs. at 15 months and there's no way he's that big already. He's a chunk for sure, but he's not a monster. (Not yet anyway.) My weight tape measures Cuzco at waaaay past the 195 lb. mark when I know he's weighed around 200 lbs. for the last nine years. I'd like to get accurate weights on all my goats then measure them with the tape and write the results on the tape in red pen for future reference, or maybe make my own weight tape chart.
When I took Bacchus to the vet to get fixed, I went in the front to grab the paperwork and I'd fill it out outside, then they'd take him in the back door. Once again a room full of dog and cat owners sitting around... very crowded. I was only inside for 60 seconds. In that time he of course had to do the hunch-and-piss thing. I yanked his collar the second he started but I got the feeling everyone got treated to his exhibitionism. Oh well. He was the coolest animal in there-- Compared to shnooky wookums and roofadoofus.
Wow, I can't wait to see some recent pics of them. Sounds like you have a fleet of young tanks!
HA! Yeah, goats can sometimes make a mess when you take them places where they're not supposed to "go." Cuzco has never had an "accident" indoors and has made himself welcome in every vet office he's ever been into. My vets may change their minds about goats in the office if I start bringing the less mannerly members of my crew! Nibbles was the worst--take her anywhere and she would immediately unload a half dozen times in about two minutes.
I'm lucky - my goat vet is a mobile vet. Personally I find cleaning up little berries a lot nicer than dog & cat poo! Big Grin
Goatberries Happen!
how all are you measuring on the height and where? My pack lines that I breed are always very large, and are over 100 pounds by 10 months. This years crop on two that I am keeping my eyes on were 60 pounds by weight tape, at 8 weeks old. This was a new crossing for me and I am totally happy with it!
Debbie Luzier
http://mountainviewpackgoats.weebly.com
goingnutsmom01@gmail.com
Measure at the withers like you do a horse.

This are big kids! Smile

(06-27-2014, 12:53 AM)Goat Mama Wrote: how all are you measuring on the height and where? My pack lines that I breed are always very large, and are over 100 pounds by 10 months. This years crop on two that I am keeping my eyes on were 60 pounds by weight tape, at 8 weeks old. This was a new crossing for me and I am totally happy with it!
Goatberries Happen!
Posted a thread about Bridger's younger full brother being for sale. Gorgeous!!!

http://www.packgoatcentral.com/forums/sh...hp?tid=975