Weigh Day for the future Ben Lomond packers.
(06-22-2014, 10:52 PM)TOU Wrote: Here is the latest updates on my 5 new little Ben Lomond Packers:

"Forest" = 71 lbs. 3 oz. = 109 day old
"Kruze" = 65 lbs. 3 oz. = 109 days old
"DaKota" = 60 lbs. 10 oz. = 110 days old
"Kody" = 67 lbs 8 oz = 104 days old
"Bridger" = 70 lbs 4 oz = 83 days old

Yep...still happy with the outcomes so far with these five little guys. Smile BTW, I pick the first three from Dwite on Wednesday morning...WAHOO!!! As noted the first three have quite amazing genetics and bloodlines...all five will create quite the diverse and well rounded backgrounds. That all said, it appears my two little LaManchas may be pretty amazing as well. I just found out that "Kody" & "Bridger's" dad = 195 lbs = 15 months old. Pretty good considering LaManchas are considered late bloomers, it will be interesting to see where they all end up.

(05-15-2014, 11:11 PM)TOU Wrote: As many of you know I have five new packer kids...noted here in these original threads.

Link: My new soon to be packers...

Link: Two more new little Ben Lomond Packers...

"The Three Amigos": L --> R = DaKota, Kruze & Forest (All have same 100% Ober sire)

At Birth: :
  • Forest = 11 lbs 3 oz (50% Oberhasli ---- 25% Alpine ------ 25% Boer...a triplet)
  • Kruze = 8 lbs 13 oz (50% Oberhasli ---- 25% Saanen ---- 25% Boer...a triplet)
  • DaKota = 9 lb 11 oz (100% Oberhasli)
At 47 days:
  • Forest = 34lbs 10oz
  • Kruze = 30 lbs 3 oz.
  • DaKota = 25 lbs 10 oz.
At 73 days:
  • Forest = 47 lbs 7 oz
  • Kruze = 41 lbs
  • DaKota = 38 lbs (*74 days)
My two 100% LaMancha kids:

Kody:

Bridger:

At Birth: : (Both have same sire...100% LaMancha)
  • Kody= ? lbs ? oz (I can't seem to remember or find it right now but update this thread when I do)
  • Bridger= 12 lbs ? oz (Single)
Today:
  • Kody= 51 lbs 14 oz (*72 days)
  • Bridger = 46 lbs 12 oz (*54 days)
I am hoping that they all will hit or nearly hit 50 lbs or greater by 90 days. Reason being, is I have read there is a general rule/trend that if a kid hits 50 lbs by 90 days that it is likely to be over 200 lbs when fully grown and mature. We shall see but it is looking likely for all of them...DaKota may be the only exception but I'm betting he will be really close to 50 as well.

Yep...pretty happy with their progress.

TOU

Okay...I just have to say I am so VERY pleased with my 5 yearlings!!! (They are all now about 12 months old) I'm a little prejudice but I think they are so gorgeous & I feel privileged to have them all. They have hiked their butts off and never complained or fell behind even in 97 degree heat. They are very well behaved, smart & seem to be growing well beyond my expectations. They just seem to be just such a well rounded string in ability, temperament & build. If you're lucky enough to get some of Dwight's kids...count your lucky stars. He delivers & are worth every penny. I know he won't have very many left by Rendezvous so get them before then if you can! Also, I have to also mention that Dona's LaManchas are great, well built & and well behaved (Before rut & after they were cut...I will never have any in rut again!) and round out my string. They are sweet and very smart.

Anyway as of today, via tape measurement, they are all around 125-140 lbs & are 30-32" high at the withers at 1 year old. Dakota the 100% Ober being the smallest...but just...he is probably the smartest, friendliest & most independent...I wouldn't trade him for anything. Forest the half Ober is the tallest and heaviest (140#/32")...I'm thinking he is going to be a big boy. Smile

Anyway, just thought I would share and will try to add some extra photos before they start to molt.

Cheers,

TOU
Yes! Can't wait to see some pics! I love the idea of mixing some obers or having some pure reds too, but it is difficult to find ones around here that are big.
So I weighed my Alpine/Nubian wethers today, they are right about 2 years old this month...
Martin is 143lb and 34.5" tall at the withers
Abe is 135lb. and 33" tall at the withers
These are my first pack goats...how much bigger would you guys guess they will grow after two years? I was thinking they might finish out around 150-160 is all...not quite as big as I was hoping for but should be able to keep them in good enough shape to carry 30 lbs a piece...that will still be 60 more than I can carry alone Smile
The 2 main factors in a goats size are genetics and feed. What do you feed/supplement them?
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
I feed them pretty nice 3-4th cut alfalfa hay, and 1/3 grass hay mix pretty much ad libitum, and a handful of sweet mix mixed with alfalfa pellets each day with their loose minerals and ammonium chloride. In the summer they have a 1/2acre pasture-grass/weed to graze on.
Don't be surprised if they grow quite a bit in the next year (even two). Goats grow until they're 3-4 years old, and I've read that Nubians can be particularly slow to mature. It seems Cuzco was around the same size as yours when he was two, but he grew a TON in his third year and eventually matured to 38" tall and 200 lbs. So you never know!
Aside from worming if you havent, I say you are giving them what they need to grow nice and big. So that will leave the eventual size to genetics I would think.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Good to know, thanks! Maybe they'll keep growing here the next little while.

Say, TOU, if you wanna go for a hike one day let me know! I'm not sure how close to the "top" of Utah you are, but i'm about 1 mile from the Id border in Cache Valley...