Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread
Today's hike was new territory, and the longest hike I've done for years.  The plan was to drive some dirt roads to Eagle Canyon and hike to Swasey's Cabin.  I brought Woodstock, Shelby GT, and Luna for this trip, the goats carrying mostly just water.  We headed out from home while it was still dark and arrived just as the sun was rising-- Its about a 35 minute drive.

Google maps is very deceiving in regards to dirt roads.  First, the I-70 underpass was just a culvert that the Lexus might have fit in if I had folded the mirrors and kept within a couple inches of the sides.  Then there was the 10 inch ledge between the cement floor and the dirt road.  I decided I'd have to hike the rest of the road to the canyon, and its a good thing-- The road would be difficult even for a 4-wheeler. 

Near where I parked, I saw some horses.  I figured they must be a camper's horses that were hobbled but...

They were certainly wild.  I wouldn't call them mustangs but rather, more recently released horses or recent descendants.  They weren't worried about people and just looked as we drove past and went on with their day.  They look healthy and happy, so thats good considering its a severe drought year.

This road has not been maintained.  The jutting rocks were covered with oil-pan paint, chunks of rubber tire tread, and I even found a brake pad- Yikes! 

I70's bridges.  From the highway you can't really see this canyon for more than a split second as you pass over it. 

Sometimes some cables on the bridges will vibrate and sing.  When Shelby first saw a truck fly past, he startled, but soon the traffic and noise was no big deal.

An artistic shot of some juniper berries piled into patterns in the early morning shade.

This really turned out to be a forced march.  I wanted to take advantage of the cool shade cast by the cliffs in the morning hours.

It was nice to discover a water seep.  Luna enjoyed it but the goats werent too interested.  Just up the road someone had installed a trough and pipe and there was some flowing water.

By now we're starting to lose our shade, but its still not that hot.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Saph - 01-29-2018, 09:50 AM
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Kat - 06-04-2018, 06:55 AM
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Saph - 06-11-2018, 11:05 PM
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Charlie Horse - 08-06-2018, 07:35 AM
RE: Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread - by Saph - 12-20-2018, 08:08 PM