Charlie Horse's 2018 Picture Thread
Great video Herb!  Shelby GT has such graceful style.  Heart
Just a 4 hour exploration hike with Shelby GT and Luna.  The goal today was to hunt for dinosaur bones, but in an area where its possible I'd be in the Chinlee formation (Formerly the Dakota formation) which sits atop the Morrison formation with a 50 million year gap.  Turns out I never found a single bone.  It was a great hike though....

Luna and Shelby were lively and ready to go at 7:00 AM

Found more of that vivid yellow and purple stained rock.

Followed the slope covered in boulders looking for bones in the boulders.  The dirt was bright white.

This giant boulder had a chunk fall out of it at some point.  We arrived just in time to see the wicked witch's striped socks curling up.

No ruby slippers were found.  It does make for an epic photo though. 

Back in the Morrison Formation.  Found some petrified wood here. 

We found a missing notch in the cliff and realized we were hiking on one side of a rather thin wall formation.

This is the view.  I havent explored any of the stuff out there yet.  Next time perhaps!
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!

Taking in the view.

Shelby was happy to get a pine needle snack.

Um.  Guys.  Something seems unsafe about all this!

Actually while I was up on an overlook, I took a step and all the sand started draining down into a crevasse.
Turns out the boulder making up the edge had undercut and was starting to tip, causing the crack to open.
I never saw it move but I'm glad I didnt actually step out there and add weight to it.  Yikes.

Walking toward a giant balancing boulder, looking back at Shelby.

Its a huge rock.  Plenty of shade for a rest break.

At first this 4 x 2 foot horror seemed like it might be the legendary gnest of gnats, complete with some kind of final boss monster within its depths.  Then I decided it might be a pack rat nest, though I have no idea how they get to it since its hanging overhead.

Back to the Morrison formation.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!

The rocks in this area seem improbable.

I'm going to call these 'Calico Rocks'

If a dinosaur bone were in this shot, it'd sum up the Morrison formation nicely.

We could see the car from here.  Shelby no longer felt the need to keep up and just stood there taking in the view and being lazy.

It is nice to have a distant shot of a goat, though.  Usually they're pretty close.