The Trouble with Two Year Olds
Isn't it interesting how when the herd dynamics change, our goats' individual attitudes often change as well. My goat, Sputnik, was always shy, nervous, and hung at the back of everything--never really joining in the herd. He was the one goat that if he got separated from everybody, no one else noticed. But when we sold his twin brother he came out of his shell and started to really develop his own individual personality and take a place in the herd. He became more bold and adventuresome and started sparring with the other goats instead of just tagging along at the back. When Cuzco died, the whole herd was in a bit of turmoil for a while. Finn was the leader, but it took time for the other goats to recognize him as such and they would fight in front of him, ignoring his commands to settle down.

And right there is the clue that your goat is not recognizing you as the undisputed leader. If he's picking fights with other goats right next to you, he doesn't respect your authority. I've noticed that goats rarely fight right next to the herd leader. If they do they get smacked. Make sure Rocky never starts fights when you're close by. It's dangerous, and if he gets away with it then it establishes Rocky as the leader instead of you. A spray bottle is a good fight breaker-upper as has been suggested. If I don't have a spray bottle handy I may pick up a stick and whack a naughty backside. Sometimes just yelling "Knock it off!" while stomping toward the goat and clapping your hands is enough to establish your authority. If Rocky turns toward you and gives you the hairy eyeball when you discipline him, go after him some more. He should turn his butt toward you and run the other way with his tail down. No horn cocking, no stinkeye, no hackles, and no sideways dancing. Those are all signs that he's still up for a challenge.

Make sure when you walk him that Rocky never bumps into you or even brushes you with a shoulder, hip, or horn tip. These "accidentally on purpose" little body checks are his way of telling you he doesn't respect your space. A subordinate goat would never dream of bumping into his superior even by accident. When Rocky passes you, he should walk far enough away that he doesn't have to touch you. If he ever does bump you, bump him back with a knee to the ribcage or a boot to the backside to show him you noticed and weren't pleased. It would be just like an older goat butting a subordinate in the rear for cutting him off. He won't take it personally, but he'll eventually learn to stay out of your way and not cut you off. Make sure you never walk around him. If Rocky is in your way, bump him over instead of stepping around. Little things like this show him that you are in control. I believe the halter disobedience will likely clear itself up once Rocky learns he's not in charge. Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
The Trouble with Two Year Olds - by saltphoenix - 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM
RE: The Trouble with Two Year Olds - by Nanno - 01-22-2018, 06:28 PM
RE: The Trouble with Two Year Olds - by Nanno - 01-26-2018, 09:01 PM