Goat-O-Rama Kids of 2018
Now it's my turn to play with the goatlings! 

"Gah! I'm under attack!"

"Not the hat!" 

"Ah, sanity returns." 

Eeeek! Not the hat!!!! They're extinct now Nanno, you got the last one Smile
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Don't I just know it!
Penny loves to be picked up and held. Rita loves to tease and play but doesn't usually want to be held. She'll sneak up behind you and grab your hair or poke you with her hoof and then race away in glee--mischievous little stinker! 

But once in a while Rita sees Penny sitting cozily in someone's lap and she has to climb up too so it's fair. At a month old, sharing a single lap at the same time is getting pretty crowded! 

I can't get enough of Rita's EARS! 

When she's not imitating a Texas longhorn... 

...she looks perpetually surprised or alarmed. 

And little Penny is just sweet and friendly. She looks like a little deer fawn, and her soft, sleek brown coat almost invites you to stroke her.  

Baby goats love this big rock that we pass on our daily walks. We call it the "baby goat rock" because from age two weeks to about two months, baby goats can't pass by without leaping up and treating it like it's their "fort".  

Challenge all comers! 

This downed tree is also fun to explore! 

Sometimes I love to sit on a rock or stump and wait to see who comes over to investigate. "Hi Rita!" 

Phil has decided we're keeping Skeeter. She's too pretty to sell. She looks like Finn AND Sputnik, and her conformation is turning out very nice. 

She just recently discovered the joy of cookies! 

Sputnik doesn't miss a trick. "Did someone say 'cookies'?" 

Look how similar these two faces are! 

"Sorry guys... all out of cookies!"

We had rather an exciting day. I was outside at around 11:00 a.m. when three Air Force fighter jets flew right over my head, so low I was almost afraid they'd clip the top of my hat off. And boy were they LOUD!!! A short while later I had Nauti up on the stanchion to be milked. She's producing far more than her two kids can drink yet so I'm milking out the excess for now. Phil came out to pet her and the new babies and he was alarmed to see a huge tear on her right flank. I had only seen Nauti's left side and didn't realize she was hurt. It was very fresh, so I'm quite sure she panicked when the jets flew over and caught her side on something. It was pretty nasty but it looked like it could be stitched if I could keep it clean and moist until we got her to a vet. I slapped on some gauze soaked in Vetricin as well as lubricant jelly while Phil wound a whole roll of VetWrap around her middle to hold it in place. She looked very comical. Early this afternoon I was able to get it stitched up and hopefully it will heal without incident. Luckily it doesn't seem too painful for her. I'm just glad she didn't do this while she was pregnant. The vet would never have been able to stretch her hide back over that hole! As it is, having recently given birth, the skin over her flank is pretty loose right now and it stitched together easily. 

And here are some of today's photos of the new babies, who we're calling Sadie and Max (for the Beatles songs "Sexy Sadie" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"). 

Why do babies love to curl up inside feeder tubs and tires? I don't know, but it sure is adorable! 

Unfortunately, they're already too big to both fit. Looks like Big Brother got kicked out! 

Babies find the funniest secret places to hide. 

Max.

Sadie.

Golly, I'm glad that Nauti is OK and you were able to get it seen to before the wound got dirty. Very fashionable bandage Smile

Your goats always have such lovely markings. Look at that face on Sadie!
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
How cute!!!!
Happiness is a working goat
We had a couple of new arrivals today, and I've gotta say--we're really having a bumper crop of does this year! Two more doelings popped into the world around noon right on their due date. Tinny pushed the first kid out without trouble. Then she decided she was done and wouldn't push out the second, so I reached in and found a nose in the passage. I reached a bit further, found a foot, and gave a little tug, at which point TinCup decided she should help and pushed kid #2 right out. I kind of think if we'd left her alone for a while she would have delivered just fine on her own. The kid was in the right position, just with the front feet pulled back a bit behind the nose. I think she'd have sorted herself out on her own if I'd been a little more patient.  

Doeling #1 is a beautiful reddish bay with gorgeous markings. She gets the red from her dad, Rocky, and the striking black legs and dorsal stripe from her mom.   

Look at that sweet smile! 

And doeling #2 looks like a Boer! I'm not sure where all this white came from, but we have a white baby with a roany-red head. At least she has black on her front legs to keep her from looking completely Boer.     

Phil brought the new babies into the office this afternoon to show them off to his co-workers over video conference.  

I love all of the color in your goats! Eye candy for sure!
Goatberries Happen!