New and Looking for Trails
Hello,

I've owned goats for a while but just started looking into packing. Max has already been camping with us while he was on a bottle, before Ruby was weaned. I'm a casual camper/hiker so my little Nigerian Dwarves will do just fine. 

I'm located in Washington state, 30 minutes North of Seattle, and I'm always on the lookout for goat friendly trails and campgrounds. I'm also curious if there are any packstock-specific rules anyone has run into, aside from goats not being allowed in national parks. Any goat leash laws? They do really well off-lead (Ruby does WAY better off than on because she wants to stop and eat then catch up later) but I'm nervous that, because they're the size of cocker spaniels, people won't like It? I don't know, I live in fear of authority. 

Tips and trail/campground suggestions are appreciated aaaaaand here's Max on the camping trip.
[Image: 4487.jpg]    
[Image: 4488.jpg]  
Aw, isn't he cute! I went ahead and merged your posts onto one thread. Sorry for the delay in "approving" them. It's an anti-spam measure I have to take for first-time posters. Now that your are an approved forum user you won't have to wait for me to give the ok on your posts again. Wink
(01-09-2018, 01:28 AM)Deborah Haney Wrote: Hello,

I've had goats for quite a while but only just looked into packing. I'm not even sure if it counts as packing if I plan on taking my ND wether, Max, to carry my lunch and his half-sister, Ruby, because I can't leave her behind. We're located about 30 minutes north of Seattle and we've gone to a few trails but I'm looking for trails where I KNOW goats are allowed. I'm so paranoid that we'll get fined. 

Also, does anyone know if packstock are required to be on lead in Washington? They do really well off-lead (Ruby does WAY better off than on because she wants to stop and eat then catch up later) but I'm nervous that, because they're the size of cocker spaniels, people won't like It? I don't know, I live in fear of authority. 

Any trail suggestions, tips, and experiences with Washtington trails are appreciated!

I'm not familiar with Washington, but many people here are. I take the stance that if goats are not specifically prohibited then they are allowed, and that it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. If there are no rules written anywhere that say you can't bring your goats, then if anyone gives you a hard time (and it's very unlikely they will, but Barney Fifes do exist), then ask them to show you where the rule is written.
(01-09-2018, 08:07 AM)Nanno Wrote: Aw, isn't he cute! I went ahead and merged your posts onto one thread. Sorry for the delay in "approving" them. It's an anti-spam measure I have to take for first-time posters. Now that your are an approved forum user you won't have to wait for me to give the ok on your posts again. Wink

Thanks, I didn't see the screen that said the post would have to be approved for long enough to read it the first time.
Welcome, I'm near Seattle too.
I pretty sure (90%) that goats are seen as stock in WA at least on forest service land and national parks. We only take them to trails that allow stock for that reason, and Nick worked with various trail people for the forest service. A lot of trails are designated hiker only. 
We also don't like dealing with the crowds and I think they are working on getting shuttle buses for hikers to the I-90 corridor because of all the parking problems, we won't be going there. For the most part we keep our goats on leads unless it's obvious there a very few of us on the trail because of off leash dogs, and liability. 

Besides using maps as a resource we sometimes use the FS website. 
FS WA Horse trails

I wish we had Nanno's view on where to take goats...
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
(01-09-2018, 06:06 PM)GoldenTreePackGoats Wrote: Welcome, I'm near Seattle too.
I pretty sure (90%) that goats are seen as stock in WA at least on forest service land and national parks. We only take them to trails that allow stock for that reason, and Nick worked with various trail people for the forest service. A lot of trails are designated hiker only. 
We also don't like dealing with the crowds and I think they are working on getting shuttle buses for hikers to the I-90 corridor because of all the parking problems, we won't be going there. For the most part we keep our goats on leads unless it's obvious there a very few of us on the trail because of off leash dogs, and liability. 

Besides using maps as a resource we sometimes use the FS website. 
FS WA Horse trails

I wish we had Nanno's view on where to take goats...

I was looking for information on stock on the Washington Trails Association and a few trails specifically prohibited goats but I didn't see any that were just for stock. My second reason for wondering about off-lead was because if we encountered an off-leash dog (despite the fact that we have only been on trails that require dogs to be leashed), I would want my goats to be able to run away without being stuck to me or a branch their lead catches on. I'm kind of working it out as I go. :/
Wta won't give you that information, it's best to go to the government websites that way you no your covered. Most trails that are open to stock are also open to hikers just not the other way around. I believe it's mainly because stock tends to be harder on trails and the hiking trails aren't built for stock, neither of which applies to goats. We however try to follow the rules so we don't put packgoats in danger as a whole with land closures and what not.

There is another thread about dogs on the trail that has alot of input. But off leash are our biggest fear for our goats. We keep them leashed when we know others are around or if we see dog tracks because we don't want our goats to run. I would rather put my goats behind me so I can yell, smack, pepper spray, or as a last resort shoot the dog if it latches on to anyone (which happened to me on the trail.)
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart