What did you do today?
(12-18-2020, 08:50 PM)Taffy Wrote: When I got home this evening I stopped at the goat pen to give them their nightly hay.  The gate to the hay mow was open and Leif was standing on top of the hay bales.  The rest of the goats were standing around chewing their cuds pointing their hooves at Leif and saying "He did it!"

UPDATE.  Well, it wasn't a fluke.  When I went out to feed this morning the gate was open again and Leif was back on the stack! I changed the locking system.  As of tonight they haven't opened the gate again.  I'll know in the morning if they can un-clip a clip that's clipped to an eye bolt!

Goatberries Happen!
Heeheehee... goats are so clever!
Those are good looking boys, they got legs.
(12-19-2020, 07:07 PM)Taffy Wrote:
(12-18-2020, 08:50 PM)Taffy Wrote: When I got home this evening I stopped at the goat pen to give them their nightly hay.  The gate to the hay mow was open and Leif was standing on top of the hay bales.  The rest of the goats were standing around chewing their cuds pointing their hooves at Leif and saying "He did it!"

UPDATE.  Well, it wasn't a fluke.  When I went out to feed this morning the gate was open again and Leif was back on the stack! I changed the locking system.  As of tonight they haven't opened the gate again.  I'll know in the morning if they can un-clip a clip that's clipped to an eye bolt!

My goats open gates too! They watch me very closely and after I leave they try to open the gate. I switched to using a threaded D-ring. That fixed it.

Once I had tethered my boys to the fence to chew down on some aggressive Blackberry vines (tied them too closely together). I came out an hour later to check on their progress and there was only one goat there with both leashes connected to the collar of one goat! I don't know how that was possible. It only happened once and I wish I took a picture.
Could it be? Ancient astronauts? The answer is yes. And by yes, I mean no.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
Today the goats and I took a walk around the farm and in one of the tree rows.  They browsed on all sorts of things from the hay field, blackberry vines, cottonwood leaves and whatever else tickled their fancy.

In the tree row Lex was fascinated by a hollow tree.  He decided he needed to climb into it and look up to see what he could see.  I decided I needed to see what he saw - it was a black hole and I couldn't see very far into it.  If there's any kind of a ledge up there it'd be a great place for an owl.

I got a great photo of Lex's face today.  He has a perfect white diamond above his nose.

Little Man decided to reach behind himself to eat instead of eating the branches and leaves right in front of him.  He added standing on a log just to make it more interesting!

The goats are always entertaining and great company!
Goatberries Happen!
Is Little Man going on walks? He is a handsome boy, glad to see has the courage to venture out with the crew.
Little Man goes on walks around the farm. He is still scared to death of other people. I am now able to pet him and scratch him when he allows it. He comes over to see me and will walk close to me when we are walking the farm. We have a daily ritual that when I'm in the hay mow I hold up a flake of hay over the gate and he'll sniff around it then take a mouthful.

He is #3 in my herd of 6. He loves to play with Lex & Leif.

Little Man will never be a packgoat and I wouldn't stress him by traveling with him. He's come a long way from the totally emaciated little man he was when he showed up at our farm. He was so emaciated I could see every bone in his face and even his rectum was totally sunk in. We never figured out where he came from but he's living the life of Riley here forever.

He's turned into an absolutely stunning goat.
Goatberries Happen!
Aw, they're so cute!

Your day was better than mine. Well, my day was good but it ended with more excitement than I would have liked. I took a nosedive off a horse at an uncomfortably high rate of speed and had my first ever visit to the emergency room. I have a glorious shiner and my left eye is swollen shut. I got a few stitches and the little bone under my eye is broken but there's not much they can do about it. I look like I've been in a bar fight! Luckily it doesn't hurt too bad.
Yikes! I've had most of my bodily damage from crashing horses. At least you're ok.

And there's no need to go to the emergency room. The answer to your black eye is "leeches".
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!