Hoof Builder
Is anyone using any products or supplements to help build and strengthen hooves? One of my boys is in need, but a lot of products out there are for horses.
Exactly what is the problem your boy has?
Goatberries Happen!
We live in a really wet area and one of my boys has very soft hooves that always need to be trimmed back and pockets opened up to keep from getting rot. His hooves seperate really easy on the sides, more so than the other goats. Last year he seemed to get sore feet with hiking due to the frog being exposed with no hoof wall in some areas and I want to strengthen and build them up this year. They make a lot of these products for horses, but I don't know if they would work with goat hooves.
muck boots. get him some muck boots Smile Actually I have no idea what to use to help. We actually like to wait till a rain to trim hooves here cause they are so hard and dry.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
Here is information I read on the http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articl...ooves.html website. It's an excellent reference site.

The foot bath idea mentioned below may help you get it under control. They also mention treating with Kopertox.

"Hoof problems can be minimized by using footbaths strategically placed in locations where the goats must walk through them daily. Copper sulfate in solution form (it comes in powder form) works extremely well. Terry Hankins, publisher of GOAT RANCHER magazine, uses full-strength Clorox footbaths on his goats, and follows up with Diatomaceous Earth as a drying agent. Parts of the country receiving high rainfall amounts must take preventative measures against hoofrot and hoof scald. Folks in those areas also should make an extra effort to vaccinate all goats against tetanus."
Goatberries Happen!
When I was a kid in Western Oregon, we had to make a walk through shallow trough for our sheep to help with the hoove rot. I believe it is a fungus from the wet conditions and it was a powder zinc product you mix with the water. Also I know hydrogen peroxide has anti fungal, anti bacteria, and anti viral properties.
I see no reason why you couldn't feed him a horse product. You might browse the SmartPak website. Their catalog is really good at explaining exactly what is contained in each supplement they sell. They even have a supplement comparison chart that shows ingredients and cost per day. If I remember correctly, it seems they might even have an option to buy a sample pack containing several different supplements to try and see which ones your horse (or in this case goat) will eat. There's nothing worse than buying a whole tub of supplement only to find out that your critter won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.
I have their catalog and will browse through it. Don't ask why, since we own and purchase for goats I get every other farm catalog know to man in the mail!
I was also looking at a topical product, Mane and Tail makes one. Also, thinking about trying the Hoegger hoof enhancer.
I had an endurance riding partner at one time who, by the end of a season of 50 milers, was literally gluing her mare's feet together just to keep the shoes on. She started a biotin supplement to help grow out stronger hoof wall. I would think it would be something that would need to work synergistically with other vitamins, enzymes or minerals for it to work the best. I would wonder, also, if there is something in his system that is blocking the uptake of nutrients to grow out strong feet.
Just thinking....
[i]
Charlene in Central Orego
n
[/i]
I tend to think that temporary problems can be solved by topical solutions. I'm currently using Hoof Heal (linseed oil based topical) on Lilly because she developed a crack in her hoof wall. Unfortunately it was between her toes so I didn't see it until it got up into the coronet band and she went lame. I think it's because of all the wet/dry/wet/dry we've been having and her hooves are as chapped as my hands.

For ongoing problems I'd probably try a supplement. The best supplements should contain all the vitamins and minerals necessary to help the body absorb the essential nutrients. I used to have a horse with chronic hoof problems and kept her hooves going for years with supplements. It's amazing the difference they can make. Unfortunately I don't remember what the best ones were. My mare was so picky I generally just stuck with whatever she would eat. Even the cheap ones were usually better than nothing. Feeding vegetable oil is a cheap way to improve hair and hoof quality but it's quite messy and very fattening. I don't recommend it if your goat is overweight.