New boy
New baby not mine but I wish! My friends goat had a single 12 pound baby buck! Il try to get up some pics later. His name is colossus great name
That's a big baby! Can't wait to see photos! Any luck on finding a new goat for you? I know you were looking for one.
That's a mack truck sized kid!
Goatberries Happen!
I know he is mostly nubian with a little togenburg and no luck yet but since its kidding season I'm sure ill find one soon
WOW...that is a big kid! I thought my little ones that I just bought was big...+12 lbs is huge!!

Mine were:

9 lb 11 oz = 100% Oberhasli
8 lbs 13 oz = 50% Oberhasli ---- 25% Saanen ---- 25% Boer (a triplet)
11 lbs 3 oz = 50% Oberhasli ---- 25% Alpine ------ 25% Boer (a triplet)

I'm not sure how many were with the pure little Ober.

Good luck finding what you are looking for!

TOU
Nice sizes. The biggest boy we ever had born was born 2 years ago and came outta the foundation doe for our main pack goat line. She is Legions grand dam. But she had a single buck kid last year that was 14.4 lbs. And she birthed him like a boss! Smile He was pulled from the prospect list and a fellow breeder bought him as a breeding buck. Sadly he only bred 8 does that breeding season and then during the winter broke the upper bone in his hind leg and was put down. Curtis would remember him, Goshen.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(04-18-2014, 11:16 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: Nice sizes. The biggest boy we ever had born was born 2 years ago and came outta the foundation doe for our main pack goat line. She is Legions grand dam. But she had a single buck kid last year that was 14.4 lbs. And she birthed him like a boss! Smile He was pulled from the prospect list and a fellow breeder bought him as a breeding buck. Sadly he only bred 8 does that breeding season and then during the winter broke the upper bone in his hind leg and was put down. Curtis would remember him, Goshen.

OH MY!!!.14.4 lbs that is a big baby! I would love to have seen how big he was at 4-5 yoa. With your years of breeding do you think that he was that big at birth partially because he was a single or were his parents also just that huge? Or both?

I'm curious about the affect on sizing in light of being singles, twins or triplets? Also if birth size always is a direct & 100% correlation to adult size or is parent size a much better correlation...I would think birth size was an indicator but it was about the latter? I.e I would think twins & triplets would be a bit smaller versus a single, all other things being equal? Also that if the parents of medium size kids are huge that they may out grow a single that was huge with medium parents?

Thx,

TOU
Mostly cause he was a single. But that was Gabes only single kid ever. She rotates between triples and quads. So I would guess with just the one, she pored everything into him. And what I have seen over the years is birth weight doesnt really factor into the adult size of a kid. Ive seen smaller babies at birth turn into power houses while anticipated kids just never took off like they shoulda. You need the genetics to get there thats for sure but I find its mainly chance and the groceries. If you give a kid/yearling/2 year old everything it needs to grow and its not battling parasites, it should grow as well as it can. I would exclude runts from this for the most part. But in the end you just roll the dice and see what you get. Its like this year is kinda a perfect storm for us. We sold 10 milkers to a new micro dairy at the start of the kidding season and have had to buy milk replacer to help feed kids. Then add to that a much less quality alfalfa then we are used to (does producing less then normal as a result) and this years kids are on a slower pace then normal. But now that they are old enough to be eating grower and a good quality alfalfa, they will leap forward and catch up nicely.

Its like with the Gabe line, we are fortunate to see that size carry over pretty consistently. Some you can tell right away but others like Legions mama, need 2 or 3 years to grow into their long body/legs and fill out. Typically a kid will take more after its grand parents.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)