My new soon to be packers....
Thought I would share a few updates on my future packers. Dwite tells me that they are "growing like little weeds" & that they also have a partner in "crime" that is inseparable with them. He is a full blood Oberhasli named "Dakota".

Generally speaking all of Dwite's boys are horned and he does not raise hornless. Hence, I had to commit to the above two kids upfront as they need to be disbudded so soon after birth. As luck would have it (for me) there was a miscommunication & Dakota was accidentally disbudded. Interestingly, all three kids actually have the same sire as the other two which makes all three "brothers from another mother" Big Grin I.E. Half brothers..."Three Amigos" From what I understand this sire is actually of the bloodlines that were brought from the top Oberhasli bucks (via straws) from Switzerland a few years back...who is owned by Dr Deb. (Zeene) Well, long story short I have been fortunate enough to be also adding him to my mix of future replacement packers. Pretty excited & feel pretty lucky...we'll be bringing them home in June!!

The kids pictured above were 27 days old; they are currently 48 days old now & getting big. Dwite told me he just weighed them & they came in at:

"Cruze" missile = 30 lbs 3 oz.
Forest = 34lbs 10oz
Dakota = "Dakota weighed in at 25 lbs 10 oz.

Cruze & Forrest were born 2 hours apart & Dakota was born the day before. Dakota is lighter but remember he is a Full Blood Oberhasli. Dwite tells me that he is actually "wide across the shoulders and hips, plus he has good height. But even more important, his personality is "Wonderful", he will be an excellent Packgoat!" I hope all three are as they have at least 50% Ober in them.

Here's a few more pics...

Cruze
[Image: Cruzecominforya.jpg]

Cruze & Dakota
[Image: CruzeOOOHsoGood.jpg]

Forest
[Image: ForestGottaHaveitNow.jpg]

[Image: TheForestgoinggoinggone.jpg]

Dakota
[Image: Dakota.jpg]

Dakota & Cruze
[Image: TheDakotaMilkMachine.jpg]

"The Three Amigos"
[Image: The3littlePigs.jpg]
BEAUTIFUL BABIES!!!!!!
I would have loved to have bought that OBER if he had not been dis-budded by accident! :-)
Now thats a good looking crew.
Nice variety in color too!
While horns they are lacking,
In four years they'll be packing,
They're some of the lucky few!

Hm. I'm a poet and didnt even think I was!
So wonderful! You're going to have such a great time raising these little guys!
Congratulations! They are nice looking! Will you wait until they are weaned to pick them up? I prefer hornless so feel you're lucky Dakota was disbudded "by accident." Smile

You're a poet
And didn't know it!

Maybe you should start writing poetry to read to us at the Rendy! Big Grin

(04-19-2014, 07:06 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: Now thats a good looking crew.
Nice variety in color too!
While horns they are lacking,
In four years they'll be packing,
They're some of the lucky few!

Hm. I'm a poet and didnt even think I was!
Goatberries Happen!
What a great looking group. They will be awesome packers!
What great pictures! These boys are so cute!!!
(04-19-2014, 08:16 AM)Taffy Wrote: Congratulations! They are nice looking! Will you wait until they are weaned to pick them up? I prefer hornless so feel you're lucky Dakota was disbudded "by accident." Smile

Hey Taffy,

Dwite Sharp, the breeder of these magnificent kids (Paradise Ranch PackGoats; Council Grove, Kansas) is actually coming through my area in June on his way to the 2014 Rendy where he will be bringing my kids with him along with one for Charlie also which is why I am waiting until then to get them. (Its about 1000 miles to Council Grove, KS for me otherwise.) I also love how Dwite works with his kids for the first couple of months in exposing them to everything, bottle feeds them with goat milk and knows much more about raising really young goats than I do. This also makes sense for me to wait rather than try to ship really young kids.

Cheers,

TOU
Hey All, I wanted to again thank you all for your kind words! I wished I had more to do with it than just purchasing them. Smile Since there has been significant interest in my little guys I thought I would share some additional info in regards to these kids & about their breeders Paradise Ranch PackGoats (Dwite & Mary Sharp)

What is interesting about these three kids, I actually committed to buying each of them without ever seeing them until afterwards. I bought them based on their descriptions and histories...and my absolute confidence in the Sharp's PackGoat breeding program. That said, I have actually been to the Paradise Ranch (Dwite & Mary Sharp) and spent many hours with them, learning who they are as well as receiving a wealth of information. I looked at and discussed every single one of their PackGoats that day & they were immensely generous with their time & wealth of knowledge. (I wished you all could see these 3-4 year old twins I saw out there...they are by far the biggest, broadest AND tallest goats I have ever seen in my life!)[/i] Hence I have come to trust Dwite & his wife implicitly in their ability to assess a fine PackGoat as this has been nearly their sole concentration the last several years.

While we are on the topic...I wanted to let all know that Dwite's Paradise Ranch Packgoats will, again, be bringing numerous purposely bred PackGoat kids like mine to the Rendy in June to be sold there as well at the auction. More on this momentarily. If you like these guys & want some of your own, I would definitely contact them ASAP. While I bought mine originally sight unseen as Dwite's computer was on the fritz, he has a new camera & computer & will likely be able to send full description, history & pictures on request. One thing to note though, if you want hornless though, I would contact him even more ASAP so that they can be disbudded as they arrive as he does not routinely disbud unless asked to do so.

I think it also important to point out a few more things that I think are very worthy of note. First, Dwite & his wife really are the real deal & they have been purposely breeding dozens & dozens of goats specifically & purposely to produce the best packgoats possible for several years. They do not hesitate to chase down the best possible genetics, it seems at almost any price! (He acquired straws from Tarzan T66 who I believe sold for well OVER $100k, was the highest selling goat in history, was the highest award winning goat in history. I.E. North America & Australia.) He also acquired genetics from the line of BIG/BEST pure Obers directly from Switzerland. (I.E. My three's sire.) He has massive bores and Saanens. Many of the Saanens push past the 42" mark. He has very strong affiliations & has been involved with many other Goat groups like ABGA & ADGA etc as well as the "Goat University", Langston which really is considered one of the premier & active got research institutes of the world. (Dwites teaches courses there a couple of times a year as well.) IMHO, Dwite & Mary are some of the smartest & knowledgeable goat folks I have ever met. (As mentioned, I was lucky enough to send time with them at their ranch late last year.) IMHO, they have an amazing commitment to goats specifically and have an immense passion for PackGoats generally & of course NAPgA specifically.

Next, I hope they don't mind me sharing this but...in spite of spending so much on developing his breeding program so extensively towards PackGoats...for the last several years, they have been donating 100% of the proceeds from the sale of ALL his Packgoat kid sales to NAPgA!!!!!!!! (Pack Goats for Rendy 2014- 100% donation to NAPgA legal fund.) They have quietly done so for several years. How do I know this? A little bird told me & I confirmed it & just felt it time others know especially in light of our drastic need for legal funds to fight the land issues this year. Is this because the Sharps are independently wealthy? Absolutely not. Its because of their level of commitment to goats & NAPgA. Of course, Dwite would never be able to accomplish all he does if it wasn't for his equally hard working sweet wife Mary who spends an unreal amount of time, love & care as well while he maintains his day job...before coming home to several hours of more chores. Goats are the Sharp's passion and they love them!

Anyway again this year, all the goats that they will bring to Rendy for delivery, sale & will auction will result in 100% of the proceeds going to NAPgA & the much needed funds to fight our land use issues. Now to me that is an amazing level of commitment, dedication & something I will get behind as much as possible. I am happy to support them by buying their awesome stock & highly recommend them.

Anyway so if you are thinking about getting some new kids, I think it may be worth your while to either call them up and/or wait until Rendy when the Sharp's bring their small young herd. You all would definitely be very fortunate if you are lucky enough to get some of their line of PackGoats. To me they really are some of the "Best Stuff" out there!

*** Again, everything I have written I believe to be true & it was unsolicited & I have not received any compensation for doing so.