New Member Intro: From Oregon
At least 95% of all pack goats out there are the result of dairy breedings. Even if a current breeder is breeding just for pack goats, all the blood lines leading up to those animals were the result of dairy breedings. Unless they throw some boer or other random breed into the mix. So dont try to separate one breeder from another. Tomato / tomato. Here, I would love to breed for strictly pack goats. But thats just not an option. So what we have done is focus on larger animals with the production and confirmation dairy breeding requires. Its worked so well that I can breed smaller bucks to my does and still produce nice large animals. The boy I kept for myself this year will most like be bigger then Legion and his sire is just an average to smaller sized buck. My boys sire is from an A.I. breeding from a buck that died 20 years ago. I went with this breeding because that bucks structural correctness / conformation is outstanding. A smaller better built goat will out perform a larger but flawed goat. I breed that buck to one of my bigger, taller, rangier doe. She is 175 lbs (all height and bone) and 35 inches at the shoulder. Taller then the buck. Ill see if I got a picture of her and him. So, when you are out looking for some pack prospects, look at the herds overall characteristics and health. The good thing about dairy breeding is, most of what you want in a pack goat, is what a dairy breeder wants in their dairy animals. (Pic of my boys dam. Decent conformation but the size was the target on her. Looking to the buck to clean up the conformation).

Picture of my boy. Can see a major improvement in the front end assembly over his dam

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
He's beautiful, Dave. I love his shoulder and brisket. You don't usually see chests like that on Alpines. It's one reason I like crossing in Nubians. He also looks a lot like Legion. What's his name?

Dave is also very right about almost all packgoats coming from dairy genetics. Some breeders are crossing in Boer and Kiko, but not most. I'm personally not a fan of Boer conformation. I like what I see in the Kikos but I prefer to stick to dairy breeds so I can register my does with ADGA and sell them to people who want milkers. If they were crossbred with meat breeds that's what they'd sell for and I put too much time and love into my babies to let them go for meat.
Right!? His mama as you can see didnt have the best front end. Legs to far forward instead of directly under her should. A little steeper rump as well. Though that part doesnt really translate over to pack goats to much. Went with the A.I. sire just for that reason. I also do not like boers being crossed into pack goats. Specially when the genetics are so compounded. There is no extra parasite resistance, or endurance, or agility added from boers. Just the potential for bone mass. I do like the idea of a little kiko blood maybe.

Name... I am still working on it. Legion had such a powerful name I am trying to find something with an L (to honor Legion) that is cool and powerful. So far nothing. And he is starting to learn his nick name so I have to find something quick. Handsome Man, not all that masculine Smile

Photo 
Thank you for the feedback and the pictures. Here's a few pics of alpine wethers in my area. What are your thoughts on their confirmation from what you can see in the pics? I haven't looked at the dam or sire yet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hmmm...
I can't load more than 1 pic. 
Sorry. I could do email!
(07-14-2017, 09:03 AM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: I am trying to find something with an L (to honor Legion) that is cool and powerful. So far nothing. And he is starting to learn his nick name so I have to find something quick. Handsome Man, not all that masculine Smile

What about Lobo? That one seems pretty cool and powerful to me. Smile
(07-14-2017, 07:32 PM)Read1t48 Wrote: Thank you for the feedback and the pictures. Here's a few pics of alpine wethers in my area. What are your thoughts on their confirmation from what you can see in the pics? I haven't looked at the dam or sire yet.

This is a difficult angle to judge. It's hard to see his front end, but it looks somewhat spindly to me, and he looks small for 4 months. His hind end looks strong, but once again it's a difficult angle because the perspective makes his back end much bigger than his front.
Am a pretty avid anti wolf person, so cant on the Lobo. Thanks for the try though Smile I was kinda thinking Leviticus with Levi for sure. Not all that powerful though...

Agree with Nanno, not a very good picture to get an idea on him. When looking at a prospect, the things you should be looking for is first over all condition. A baby who has struggled with parasites or health issues can have their growth stunted. Lack of minerals can result in poor bone development and condition. Confirmation wise you are looking for the front legs to be staight and strong. Placement should be directly under the shoulder. The better the front leg placement, the better this animal will carry weight. Goats carry about 60% of their own weight over their front legs. Back legs should have a nice angulation to them from butt to elbow. Think of this area as their main stabilizer as well as where their power comes from. This angulation gives them a more efficient gait and adds to stamina. The area from their toes to dew claw is called their pasterns. These are their shock absorbers. You want to see them standing as high and in line with the rest of their legs as possible. A slight toeing out on the back legs is good for pack goats as well. Width between the legs is also something to look for. Gives them balance and spreads their weight over a larger area. Top line / back should be level. Now with kids, this changes as they go through growth spurts. But you can get an idea if you can look at the dam and sire, but an even better idea if you can get a look at the grand parents. Goats only pass on about 23% of their characteristics to their kids. The bulk of what you are seeing is from the grand parents.

Levi is a nice name. What about Loki? Norse gods are about as powerful as you can get. Lance is also a strong name.
Awe, two good names! Thanks you! Smile