They're Here!
They're here, the beginning of my Kiko herd !

We got in late last eve, after 650+ mile drive from southern Illinois. Two Jan kids, one buck one doe. I will try and get some pics next week of them.

They are from Craig Adams,

http://www.Kikocraigadams.com ,

He has a good performance oriented herd and farm, I liked what I saw.

The doe is just over 40 lbs and the buck more, I will get accurate weights when they go to the vets in a week or so.

Hopefully if all goes well they will be at the Rendy in June.

Its a whole other climate down there, green wheat and alfalfa fields, here still have snowpak but that hopefully will clear out mostly over the next week.

Today is rest time, for the three of us.

Life goes on and its pretty good all in all.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures!
Congratulations! Looking forward to pictures! Smile

I went to Craig's website and I love the varied landscape the goats live in.

What made you choose the Kiko goats over other breeds?
Goatberries Happen!
Hi Taffy

I have been studying them for several years, they were developed in NZ with an emphasis on hardiness and parasite resistence with high production capabilities, and a minimum of supplementary feeding. A range goat. I have looked at a number of different breeders websites, as well as the two registries and I really feel that besides being a veryvaluable meat goat that they also have much to offer as packgoats. Strong and physically built to cover ground.

I had two crosses before, they were much heavier then other goats I have handled, here or in Israel. Yesterday when I was putting the January doeling in her pen it was plain to feel that she weighs more then 40 lbs. I will know in a week or so when they go to the vets their exact weights. The buck is well over 50 lbs also.

Craig has a good selection program going, I was impressed, a solid no nonsense livestock operation. We will be talking more, and I will probably be buying more kids from him. But, these will come by air LOLOL!! 653 miles with too much across the northern Ind/Ill corridor, bumper to bumper for hours.

All in all these two are worth it. Now we shall see what will be. I hope to have some pics , maybe next week.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Congrats Jake! Now you need to learn how to post up pics! Smile
Hi Kirk

yup, gotta get some pics and see what can be done, I will ask my son to take several this week.

Their names are Max and Babe, both seem to fit. He is almost growing as I look at him. They are separated now, I didnt want her getting bred as a baby. They are precocius.

Jake

Mikado, MI
. I too am very interested in these as well as hybrids of them as I have heard & read great things about them. These are the Texas Longhorns of goats...which means I would really hate to be on a narrow mountain pass trail when they came sweeping buy with a full set of horns. Yep...I think I will continue to keep my troop hornless. Big Grin

Really looking forward to hearing more & seeing pictures now as well as while they grow.

Cheers,

TOU
Horn use is a dominence or threat reaction, to see who will be the dominant breeder. I havent heard of any pack goats making threats on the trail. Has anyone else here? Size and growth are real with this breed, I am going to be very interested in watching them develop. The Ibex too although I wonder if I am ready for such a long term project as them. Right now their price is way out of my reach. But just on hetrosis I am sure some size could be gained. Again, I dont forsee a problem with the horns.

Time will tell.

Jake

Mikado, MI
(04-14-2014, 07:31 AM)Jake Levi Wrote: Horn use is a dominence or threat reaction, to see who will be the dominant breeder. I havent heard of any pack goats making threats on the trail. Has anyone else here?

Unfortunately, yeah. Cuzco makes threats to anyone, on trail or off. I love his horn, but I sometimes find myself wishing he'd lost both of them. Phil and I really have to watch him around other people, especially when we pass in a narrow place like a hiking trail. It's a darn good thing he doesn't have much spread and that his horn points almost straight down.
I feel the same Nanno. I had never been around goats with horns. Starting out on a commercial dairy goat farm. So when it came my time to have a packer, I of course chose to keep the horns. I wish I had not now. Legion isnt mean with them, cept to other goats and even then, its more of a "lets play" kinda thing. He is just now two so not unexpected. But he knows he has them and uses them. I dont like it. Come feeding time he knocks on his gate. If you go inside the barn and leave him outside, he knocks on the door with his horn. Lots of dents on it. I have see him butt his shelter, horse panels and a few other things. If I let him out with the does, I have to stand right next to him cause he will flick his horns at them if they get to close and he is in the mood to. Around people, I know he wouldnt do it on purpose but you get people he isnt used to around him and they dont move right and he gets spooked, he could send a horn into a bad place.

Some good things is, I taught him to present to dogs. Which he doesnt very well with little fear. Cept for a black english bulldog. He was creeped out by the look of it even before it got close Smile But as least he can defend himself vs a dog.

But if I could go back, Id remove them. So much so I am thinking I will not keep my prospect pick for this year as he has horns. I just dont wanna deal with them.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)