New Land Use Plan Needs Comment
This in some aspects is a clarification. When I asked for comment on the Hemingway-Boulders Land Use Plan a month ago, I thought that was it. Job done.

As I now understand that is not true. This wilderness is a patchwork quilt of areas and land management agencies, and there is now another land use plan that needs your input.

The most recent plan is the Jim McClure-Jerry Peak Wilderness plan and the scoping for this plan ends the 17th of March.

For this particular wilderness, it seems that the only bone of contention and issue that needs responded to, Page 27 of FS document, JMJP Draft Plan_ <2017_02_10 (105098_FSPLT3_3949644), accessible here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=50223
Is the "Require the use of weed-free feed or pellets for stock animals (FS Order Number 04-00-097; BLM Supplementary Rule ID-913-02-4740-04) and in accordance with other FS and BLM policies and closure orders.

Once again, as in the Hemingway-Boulder plan, they are treating all stock the same, and in so doing, effectively running goats and goatpackers out of the forest. We must respond to each of these threats. If you feel that this is a long way from where you are, and you won't ever want to come here, you are completely overlooking the fact that as each area closes to goats, your particular favorite area becomes more of a target, and more likely to come under the closure microscope.

In order to make comments, you may use one these methods: 
 Send an email to: comments-intermtn-salmon-challis-middlefork@fs.fed.us. Please indicate “Wilderness Plan” in the subject line. Electronic comments must be submitted in a format such as an e-mail message, plain text (.txt), rich text format (.rtf), and Word (.docx). 
 Send a hardcopy letter to: Middle Fork Ranger District, 311 N. US Highway 93, Challis, ID 83226. 

Please take the time to respond:  This plan is outlined in detail, here: http://arcg.is/2j9GNu4 
I'm not sure what the problem is with "weed free". I don't care for the rule because "certified weed free" usually means bad quality hay at twice the price, but I'm more irritated about that for my horses than my goats. This has been a rule in every wilderness area for so long that I really don't think this one has any hope of being treated differently. I think it would have to be a general policy change for all FS and BLM wilderness management wouldn't it?
(03-04-2017, 09:01 AM)Nanno Wrote: I'm not sure what the problem is with "weed free". I don't care for the rule because "certified weed free" usually means bad quality hay at twice the price, but I'm more irritated about that for my horses than my goats. This has been a rule in every wilderness area for so long that I really don't think this one has any hope of being treated differently. I think it would have to be a general policy change for all FS and BLM wilderness management wouldn't it?

The core issue here for a goat packer is that if you have to carry food for your animals, then there will be precious room for anything else. I go out for days at a time. I cannot carry enough feed for all that time as well as the things I need to camp out. It negates the whole point of having these animals in the first place. Regarding the rule, it was promulgated long before goats were a part of the packing scene. It is time to take another look at it, as goats do not fit with the rest of the pack stock as to their impact on the environment, and therefore should not be automatically lumped into the mix without the consideration of their overall place in the scheme of things.
Ah. I've always understood these rules to mean that IF you bring feed for your animals, it must be certified weed free or pelleted. I don't think you are required to bring feed.
Larry thanks for clarifying those 2 land use projects. It is odd when you read about it. They lump it all together in some references then in others they are separate issues.
There is no mention of packgoats that I could find but it is early in the planning process. This area is located not far from wild sheep although I don't see them being mentioned either. It will be interesting to see how it develops.
Found this on page 27.
Recreational Horse and Stock Use
Background:
Stock use is a traditional activity on this land and has long history of use throughout the JMJP Wilderness. This traditional use of wilderness is a symbol of the landscape and is associated with hunting and grazing activities. Recreational stock use, mainly horses and mules, occurs throughout the Wilderness, but tend to concentrate on the developed trails.
Desired Future Condition:
Recreational stock use is recognized and allowed with minimal impacts to wilderness character. 
Goals: 
The wilderness is used by riders and those using pack stock in a manner that leaves it unimpaired for future use and enjoyment as wilderness. 
Management Direction
Standards:
A group being in the area with a combined number of pack and saddle stock in excess of 20 head of stock is prohibited.
Affiliated stock groups, which exceed 20 head in a group, are not allowed to come into contact with one another, nor within a range of one air mile of each other. 
Pack or saddle stock must be ridden, led, or under control and are not permitted to run loose on trails or travel routes. 
Locate pack and saddle stock facilities at least 200 feet from lakes and streams, where terrain allows. Pad high lines to minimize tree damage. 
Require the use of weed-free feed or pellets for stock animals (FS Order Number 04-00-097; BLM Supplementary Rule ID-913-02-4740-04) and in accordance with other FS and BLM policies and closure orders. 
Guidelines:
Discourage tying of stock to trees for more than two hours. Encourage use of temporary stock containment systems. Monitoring:
Implement monitoring as described in the Wilderness, Trails, and Camping and Campfires sections. 
Management Actions:
At this time, there is no indication that additional limits or restricts on stock use, beyond the group size limitation, or other stock types.