Introducing new babies
Amen on goats becoming shy if others are allowed to bully them away from you when you feed and pet. If I'm petting a low-ranking goat and another tries to knock him out of the way, the higher ranking goat gets disciplined.

Unlike Dave, I like to keep my babies with the herd. The older herd members show them what herd dynamics are all about, which I think leads to fewer of them growing up to become bullies. I've noticed that my young goats (6-18 months old) are the ones most likely to bully babies and be mean for no reason. An older herd member always steps in and puts a stop to this before it gets dangerous. Older herd members will also spar with the young rogues and teach them how to "play nice". My two young wethers have begun stepping into this "mentor" role now that they are approaching three years old. Both have gone through phases of bullying and downright meanness, but old Cuzco has kept them from getting too big for their britches. He's also taught them by example how to mete out appropriate discipline, when to break up fights, and generally keep order in the herd.

Since your yearlings have no older goat mentor to keep them in line, you'll have to do this when you're out there feeding and interacting. Ideally your yearlings will be perfectly happy to play with the babies and not be brutal with them. They'll learn in time how to become good herd leaders so that as you continue to add babies through the years they will be the ones to break up nasty disputes and keep anyone from getting injured.

Messages In This Thread
Introducing new babies - by Jack-Sven - 03-06-2017, 07:31 PM
RE: Introducing new babies - by Nanno - 03-06-2017, 07:54 PM
RE: Introducing new babies - by Jack-Sven - 03-06-2017, 08:15 PM
RE: Introducing new babies - by Nanno - 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM
RE: Introducing new babies - by MosesBrowning - 03-07-2017, 11:35 AM
RE: Introducing new babies - by Jack-Sven - 03-08-2017, 06:59 AM
RE: Introducing new babies - by Jack-Sven - 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM
RE: Introducing new babies - by Nanno - 03-08-2017, 11:57 AM
RE: Introducing new babies - by DownUnder Gal - 03-08-2017, 04:13 PM