Hiking Poles
I have Leki women's hiking (trekking) poles with speedlock, cork grips and carbide tips. I really like these poles for their light weight and the cork grips absorb moisture.

I wondered what those of you who use poles have and their pros and cons.
Goatberries Happen!
I have some Komperdell poles that adjust in two places. I like the convenience of being able to collapse them as much as possible so that they can strap to the side my pack when I don't need them. The other thing I like about them is that the adjustment is of the "flick-lock" type, with a lever, rather than having a "twist-type" adjustment. I have seen too many of those twisting adjustments fail, so I like the idea of just adjusting & then locking in place by snapping the lever.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/komperd...essed=true
I use Leki carbon poles. The goats know to stay behind them on single track trails. One flick of the wrist and you can tap a goat under the chin. They were a great training tool to teach the boys to stay behind me. They strap to the cross buck on the saddle with a bungee cord with easy access when you need them.
I use Komperdell Ridgemaster Anti-Shock Trekking Poles. I've never used other poles, but love them and they've held up to some rough wear.
I have some I got for $24 at Costco. Carbon with cork handles and twist-adjusters. They're great for steep or rocky terrain. I dont use them on the flats, no way. I'm pretty sure that someday one will break as I rely on it, propping on a rock, and I'll fall to my death.
Id like to find some titanium ones that you could use to beat the crap outta a dog that gets to close Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
(04-18-2014, 08:27 PM)Dave-Trinity-Farms Wrote: Id like to find some titanium ones that you could use to beat the crap outta a dog that gets to close Smile

I'm kinda old school. I make mine out of yucca stalks. I've whacked a couple of mean dogs, and flipped a few rattlesnakes off the trail with mine. It has a rubber cane tip on it which grips rocks better than metal points, and it's safer when I have to poke a goat in the butt. I never go hiking without it.

[Image: IMG_0966.jpg]
I use Leki aluminum poles, screw type with the rubber or plastic grips. Everyone says the screw-locks will eventually fail from grit etc. in them. Got 'em on sale for around $50. So far so good. I use two in particularly rugged or steep terrain and one otherwise.
I have several. All wood. two I bought at shepherder markets and the others I cut myself from saplings: hazel, ash, whatever we find.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

We dont have any hard wodds here... come to think of it we dont have soft woods either... we got sage brush and tumble weeds... Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)