How far do you walk your young goats in training
I have a couple 7 month old Alpine wethers that I have been training to lead on short walks, the longest being aboutt 3/4 of a mile. But how far with out a pack on easy train would you ask your goats to go at this age? I don't want to stress there bodies out while the they are growing rapidly.
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
A healthy young goat should be able to walk as far you can. It's good for their growing bodies to get lots of exercise. It strengthens bones and joints and grows muscle. Of course, if they are currently thin or out of shape then you will have to get them into condition. Watch for stress signs as you go such as panting, lagging, or stopping and looking back down the trail. We've taken babies as young as four months on all-day hikes in somewhat difficult terrain. They are still outrunning us at the end of the day! A more common problem with young goats is not giving them enough exercise to develop properly.

Welcome to PackGoat Central by the way!
Good to know! Thank you. 

My concern grew from knowledge that I have aboit canine hip arthritis often being caused by to much skeletal stress while dogs growth plates are still open.

This is great news though because there is a 3-8 mile loop hike just alittle bit further than we have been going.
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
[Image: timp_summit_03.jpg]

This little guy made the summit at 5 months old. The air *was* a little thin up there.
Distance added with heat and elevation gain are always part of the equation. I start them young also but take plenty of breaks and given them more water. I took a 3 month old bottle baby out with powdered milk on a back pack trip. It was with a bunch of girl friends and having fun was more important than speed. He was tired but every time he took a nap he woke up full of himself and loving life.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I love it! That is so cute!