Burro/ Donkey packing
Anyone on here use burros? I think they'd be a little more versatile than a large donkey. Any pictures or information. Its another thought that has been going through my head, versus a goat.
Hello Wordman
RE: Burros/Donkey's
They are both the same animal.
I have had a couple over the years.
Don't mess with Miniature ones.Go for Standard/Sicilian or Mammoth. But you have to feed them like a horse.
Warnings:
#1 Temperment, IF you get one that is well "Socialized" from birth and trained to lead good. (Friendly)
They can be good workers, but they also are more complex to handle. Unlike Goats.
#2 They will keep on rough graze but not as good as a goat will.
#3 Normally what you will find for sale will be foals from pasture "Guard" Donkeys Sale barn stuff. Unhandled no
training. Or pasture pets no training again.
#4 You have to have 2, but some that have been foaled from a Jennet in with a herd of Cows/Sheep/Goats etc. may be happy with your goats as a guard animal as well as a pack animal for the heavy work.
#5 A Standard Burro will carry a 60-75 pound pack. If trained for it and in condition. They are not as nimble as a goat.
#6 You will have to pack some feed in with you for a Donkey unlike goats that will browse their own feed on the trail.
#7 General upkeep is the same as a horse. Trimming,worming,feed ect.
#8 From my experience here in SC I can take my goats into any park or NFS area a donkey would not be allowed.
#9 Donkeys be stubborn on the trail and big enough you can not man handle them.
#10 Go with Goats
Enjoy this little item of how the Donkey got his markings.

Happy Trails
Stick with Goats
hihobaron OR the Goat Mafi might get mad at you. Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I've been wanting a pack donkey because there are areas in the Sierra where goats are discouraged... plus I love donkeys.
*Saltlick*  Rancho Topaz   
near Topaz Lake, Nevada