Bartlett Trail Hike
Last Sunday Phil and I took the whole day to try tackling the Bartlett Trail up to south Greenhorn Peak. It's anywhere from 8-12 miles to the top (depending on what you read and who you talk to), so we didn't quite make our destination, but we came within spittin' distance. 

It's not a terribly difficult hike, but it is long and the slope, though not exactly steep, is relentless. We hiked for four hours with only two very short breaks and got within a mile of the peak before we had to turn around. The days are too short to chance pressing on into the afternoon.  

We stopped on a high ridge overlooking the plains. There was a forest fire there years ago and the dead trees lay eerily all around, with a few still standing at crazy angles. 

It was a pleasant day but very warm for October and Finn especially got a little hot on the way up. But we switched the pack from Finn to Sputnik and back as each got tired.

The only reason this photo is here is because the angle made me laugh. Sputnik looks like he shrunk in the wash! 

We found a nice log with a beautiful view and sat down to rest and eat a late lunch. There was plenty of grass for the goats and lots of things for Phil and I to look at through the binoculars.  

Sputnik seems pleased with himself. 

We headed back down around 2:00 with Finn taking the first shift at pack-carrying. 

There was a ton of deadfall on this trail, and a few of the logs almost "stumped" the goats--get it? Haha! 

Too many branches--Finn was afraid the pack would get stuck going over or when trying to land. It was fun to watch him try to figure it out. 

So he took the lower route (the one he'd watched Sputnik use on the way up). 

Finn had some trouble earlier in the day with a low tree. He tried three times to go under, but the crossbuck got stuck every time. Rather than crouch lower (which he could easily have done), Finn got frustrated and finally leaped over the top (he's a magnificent jumper when he wants to be). Sputnik is a capable jumper but prefers to try other things first. It took Sputnik only one try to realize he had to crouch lower to clear the crossbucks. I guess Finn learned something from watching Sputnik navigate that pack.  

Because this time he made it!

We had a bit of trouble getting Finn to stay on the trail at the switchbacks. He was about to shimmy down this bank when I stopped beneath him and hollered "NO!" He stopped in his tracks and gave me a chance to snap a nice photo before he turned and sauntered reluctantly but obediently down the trail. 

And in case anyone is wondering, yes Sputnik DOES carry the pack! In fact, Sputnik carried it for much of the way up. But we were on such a warpath to reach the top that we didn't stop to take pictures. Sputnik took over from Finn for the last part of the hike down. 

There were hardly any leaves left. A wind storm the week before had left the trees bare. But every now and then we encountered a small patch of faded gold. 

Great photos and captions. I love the one of the saddle on the fallen tree. It could easily be a calendar photo!
Goatberries Happen!
Thanks! I really like that photo too but not so much for a calendar photo. It's the one I would use if we ever got a Dedication and Memorial page up on the NAPgA site. So far no one has expressed interest, but if they do it seems like that photo would be very fitting.
It would be perfect for a memorial page!
Goatberries Happen!
Hi there!

My family and I are very familiar with the area ,my dad was taking me there when I was in diapers it .I have some of the best memories hiking that mountain ,harvesting my first elk,drinking my first beer etc..my dad worked on a claim there in the summers growing up and had the opportunity to buy a chunk of land up there and over 30 years later is now going to build a cabin next summer . don't mean to ramble on but that place has a special place in my heart and it was really awesome seeing your pics.

I am very interested in getting involved with pack goats for hunting i was brought up around horses my whole life and spent a great deal of time in the saddle so it might be a bit of a transition/learning experience for me and I'm looking forward to lots from this site.

thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this site

-Nick(new member)
Very cool!
Welcome, and I'm glad you like the photos, Nick! Are you living around here now? Maybe we could get together and go hiking sometime.
Awesome pics and scenery Nanno! Not bad looking goaties too Smile
Happiness is a baby goat snoring in your lap
Phil and I hiked a couple of miles up the Bartlett Trail last Sunday. Since Finn and Sputnik were nowhere to be found when we were ready to leave, we took TinCup and Nauti who happened to be loitering around the house looking for attention. They happily loaded into the truck and then very unhappily scolded us all the way to the trailhead, but once we got there they settled right down. 

It was a beautiful, golden day. Most of the aspen leaves are gone but there are some patches still lingering here and there. The scrub oak is a lovely burnt orange right now and the grasses are tawny, giving everything a warm glow. 

I had a hard time getting pictures of these girls because they were so clingy and insecure about being taken on a new trail away from home. They kept crowding me at first and trying to squeeze past me at every opportunity, but with the help of my jacket I was able to discourage them from constantly stepping on my heels and bumping into me. By the end of the hike they had relaxed enough to hang back and browse along the trail like goats are supposed to do.

The girls LOVED these rock outcroppings and didn't want to leave this place! But since Tinny especially was making me nervous with her cliffside explorations, Phil and I hurried them along after snapping a few pictures. 

The sure are best friends!