GPS
I want to buy a GPS.  What ones do you use/like and why?
Goatberries Happen!
We use Garmin's. They are hand held devices. With the right map chip in them you will always be able to know where you are in relation to the land around you. The guidance given so you can "track back" to you car or camp is invaluable for safety. They need 2 AA batteries for nearly 24 hours of continuous run time. The passenger in the car can use them to navigate roads. They have a "find" tool that can lead you to many things like a hospital. Hand held Garmin's are not typically used for driving but it is a nice back up.
We have 2 Garmin Astro's. They have been developed for gun dogs. The GPS tracker device is most often put on an animals collar like a packgoat or a dog. My husband and I put the trackers in our back packs while elk hunting so we always know where each other are located. The GPS tracker is visible on the map on our hand held Garmin device.
The trip computer will evaluate the distance traveled, the elevation gained, how much time you were actually moving, and the speed you moved at.
I carry an oldschool garmin etrex as a backup only for the last 4 years. to tell you the truth, the battery compartment is corroded and it didn't make it in my pack this hunting season.

I use a couple different apps on my phone and tablet. my primary app is "Trimble Navigator". All the others are for trip planning or work. While out in the brush I turn on the Trimble app. Todays GPS chips in our phones are pretty powerful. Someare better than others and I prefer Samsung. I subscribe to the premium account which gives me access to building custom offline maps. It interacts better on the Android platform than Apple iOS. Easier features between desktop and phone anyways. I carry rechargeable battery packs to keep my phone charged. will be adding a solar panel this winter to my gear. possibly a biostove also for foulweather adventures.

since I use my phone and tablet, both Samsung Galaxy, to navigate. I always have access to my navigation tool. Brycen learns how to use it while we drive down the road. Any trip planning is uploaded to the account and easily shared between devices. I use this for leading all of our overland vehicle adventures, hunting trips and just general day hikes.
Got my husband a new InReach Explorer for out of cell range text communication, SOS, and it links to your phone for navigation. Got a lot of learning to do with this one for navigation but the satellite texting and SOS are very comforting. I also wear a Garmin Vivoactive HR watch for another backup. I may have up to 3 garmin tools in my pack any time. To tell the truth I love maps and compasses and any thing that helps me enjoy orienteering (cross country navigation).
(10-25-2016, 09:18 PM)IdahoNancy Wrote: Got my husband a new InReach Explorer for out of cell range text communication, SOS, and it links to your phone for navigation. Got a lot of learning to do with this one for navigation but the satellite texting and SOS are very comforting. I also wear a Garmin Vivoactive HR watch for another backup. I may have up to 3 garmin tools in my pack any time.  To tell the truth I love maps and compasses and any thing that helps me enjoy orienteering (cross country navigation).

I would to hear how you like the inreach. If thinking of getting a regular satphone for communication.
I use an inreach, but mine does not have the map capabilities. They are awesome, can send and receive texts anywhere. Using phone it is just like texting so very fast. Really nice having peace of mind knowing everything is going well at home when away. Can also get weather reports too.